Author Topic: reducing weight  (Read 5156 times)

Offline rino

• Board Regular!
reducing weight
« on: June 27, 2005, 02:08:00 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce the weight on a 96 600.  Trying to see if I can lighten her up and maybe make it feel faster.  Any ideas welcome
Ryan

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
weight
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 03:32:14 PM »
The stock midpipe/silencer is very heavy.  I know I dropped several lbs when I replaced it with my Supertrapp.  The center stand is heavy but you have to think about weight savings to convenience.  You can add swing arm buttons (there are threaded holes for them) and use a sportbike stand for maintenance.  You can remove the front fairing and go street fighter as this drops several lbs.  Other than that, the lbs per $$ gets expensive.  Peter Egan had a good article in the last Cycle World.  He talks how he spent several hundred dollars to lighten his bike 10 pounds but gained 20 lbs in body weight over the winter!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
reducing weight
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 09:32:34 PM »
Losing weight off your person is the best, if you're at all overweight. Besides being healthier, that's high CG weight.
(Good thing I don't care about weight savings - I could use to loose 50 or so.)  :wink:

As for the bike, how much to you want to spend on a weight loss program? Besides what tacoman already mentioned, there's not a whole lot you can do without racking up some serious expense, and if you can do that, you should just buy a lighter bike.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline cc600

• New user!
reducing weight
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 12:51:10 PM »
I'm glad I am not the only one that could stand to lose some weight, although I could stand to lose more than 50 (I hope that makes you feel better Red01  :wink: )

I really look more like I should be riding a HD, but I like the style of my B6 better.
2002 Bandit 600
Ivan's Jet Kit
Holeshot Pair Removal Kit, Sportrack & Backrest, Fork Brace

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
weight
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 02:12:27 PM »
I had a dirt biking buddy who was a heavy guy.  Had his suspension all revalved and resprung for his weight.  Went on the adkins or south beach diet and lost a ton of weight.  "Wow, my bike's a lot faster, but the suspension is rock hard."  Moral of story, the best weight saving mods may be to yourself :wink: