Author Topic: Risers  (Read 3578 times)

Offline amboman

• Board Homesteader!
Risers
« on: November 29, 2005, 10:22:22 AM »
Could someone point me to a thread or give me some advice on fitting handlebar risers to a B12.  I can get riser blocks that will lift the bars 30mm but I am not sure if i will need to replace any of the control cables or not.

Any advice would be appretiated.

:thanks:  :thanks:
Taken over by the dark side. Now riding a CB 1300 but visit my old bandit regular.

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
Risers
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 11:32:15 AM »
Gen-Mar makes a riser kit for the Bandit that raises the bars about 1" and brings them back about 1 and 3/8".  It includes a new brake hose which is needed, but the clutch hose can be repositioned and the cables still reach.

I added a 1" spacer under the Gen-Mars and got longer bolts at the local hardware store -- then I needed to reposition the choke and throttle cables to a position BEHIND the forks in order to have proper slack when turning the handlebars.  No big deal, just some monkeying around.  

I used a plumbing adapter (bronze, but painted black) as the spacer after filing the ends flat for best contact with the triple tree and the Gen-Mars.  The comfort is increased a lot and as I use the bike for a touring platform it was worth the time, expense and trouble.

Offline B12Power

• Board Regular!
    • http://www.motofun.net
Re: Risers
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 04:05:49 PM »
This item worked for me: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2016/103/

Can't brag on the time lag between ordering and delivery, but I did not have to replace hoses, etc. on my '04 GSF1200S

John

Quote from: "amboman"
Could someone point me to a thread or give me some advice on fitting handlebar risers to a B12.  I can get riser blocks that will lift the bars 30mm but I am not sure if i will need to replace any of the control cables or not.

Any advice would be appretiated.

:thanks:  :thanks:
John
Traffic Signals timed at 35 mph...
are also timed for 70 mph!

GSF1200S
GL1500
XR250

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
Risers
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 05:23:20 PM »
Any time you take your handlebars loose, it is a good idea to put a thick towel across your gas tank. When the bolts break loose, it is very easy to scratch your tank with the hex wrench. It would help if you had somebody to hold the handlebars while you take them loose but it can be done by 1 person. If you haven't bought risers yet, you might check twistedthrottle.com. They have a few different risers at what seems to be decent prices. I am considering a set from them after I decide which seat (Corbin or gel) I am going to keep on my b6. I have ordered other things from them and have had good service.

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
Risers
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 09:07:14 PM »
Here is a photo of Holeshot risers on my 1G B-12.  I also had a set on my 2G B-12.   I am sold on this product because of its quality and the added comfort that it provides for LD riding.  You can see more info on my mods at my web site...

Dave
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline amboman

• Board Homesteader!
Risers
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 09:20:34 AM »
Hey guys thanks heaps for your replies.  Terrebandit I really like the look of the risers that you have and I am already waiting for a price from holeshot.  I am a little nervous about the fitting.  I am aware that the kit comes with a longer brake hose but will I need a longer clutch hose?There seems to be a bit of slack but I am not sure if there is enough.

Will I need to re-route the throttle cables or are they ok in original position?

Thanks heaps for the advice.

:beers:
Taken over by the dark side. Now riding a CB 1300 but visit my old bandit regular.

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
Risers
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 10:34:00 AM »
I've got the Holeshot risers on my 2G B12. The standard clutch cable works fine and there is no need to fiddle with the throttle cables. It is a pretty nice setup IMHO.

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
Risers
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 11:59:29 PM »
amboman,

The clutch and throttle cables are plenty long.  They will also stay in the same position.  You will just have to fit the new brake line.  Make sure you don't get any brake fluid on your paint.  Cover up everything real good before you change out the brake line and while your bleeding the brake.

Dave
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!