Author Topic: Steering Damper  (Read 7206 times)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Steering Damper
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 10:34:36 AM »
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
I wonder why none of the steering dampeners made for road bikes are designed to be incorporated into the steering head like on dirt bikes

You mean like this Scotts Performance damper for the B12?

Quote from: "Scotts Performance"
Photo shows the 1200s with the completed weld-on kit in place. The weld-on tower is just in front of the tank and requires 2 very small welds on each side of the frame bracket. Normal installation time is about 45 minutes including the welding. The rest of the kit bolts to the existing stock triple clamp.

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
Steering Damper
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 05:41:01 PM »
:beers:
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Steering Damper
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 12:41:00 AM »
Oh my goodness, now thats elegance. Thanks Red01, If I get one regardless of the price, it will be this technology. I suppose I should research some reviews on performance compared to the other (the lance). But still if it works as good as it looks to protect against deflection, this beauty will be my type, even if if requires some welding.

Quote from: "Red01"
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
I wonder why none of the steering dampeners made for road bikes are designed to be incorporated into the steering head like on dirt bikes

You mean like this Scotts Performance damper for the B12?

Quote from: "Scotts Performance"
Photo shows the 1200s with the completed weld-on kit in place. The weld-on tower is just in front of the tank and requires 2 very small welds on each side of the frame bracket. Normal installation time is about 45 minutes including the welding. The rest of the kit bolts to the existing stock triple clamp.

Offline Fordtech

• Board Homesteader!
Steering Damper
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 08:13:42 PM »
I considered the Scott's unit.....I just do not want to be welding or anyone else welding on the frame...kinda anal about that kind of thing.
Could be just me.......noone has ever touched my bike except me.

Offline gearset01

• Board Homesteader!
Welding
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 09:07:07 PM »
Dont know how I feel about that weld part either, looks TACKY He He, wonder if a drill and jam nut setup wouldnt be nice and do-able ?
PIN

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Steering Damper
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 10:29:49 PM »
The weld wouldn't be a big deal to me. Overall makes a very clean looking installation, as long as you don't mind having the damper staring you in the face all the time.

The Scotts has got a very good reputation from the dirt bike side of things. Lots of adjustability, (resistance as well as sweep?) If I remember correctly, the unit is actually made by Ohlins, and Scotts has the North American rights. I believe Ohlins sells it directly in Europe?

High quality unit, but pricy.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Steering Damper
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 10:43:25 PM »
That weld on post would present some added difficulty in steering stem nut adjustment.  At the very least you could kiss the special order spanner wrench good-bye.

Still... I like the look of the Scotts best.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Steering Damper
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 10:46:41 PM »
The weld is on a flat surface so pretty strait forward and simple. A little micro grinding with a drummel tool and matched paint and it would look like it was machined on. The sell for me the the great Techno look which adds a bit of sophistication to the cockpit and no doubt a conversation piece. If I get a dampener something like this would to me would be far cooler looking then the lance which begs for some to hand their underwear (T-shirt) on.

Offline Fordtech

• Board Homesteader!
Steering Damper
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 07:31:27 PM »
I found this pic...not my colour but this the damper mounted to a B12!!!!!!!!

http://www.streetfightersbydesign.com/streetweb/banditmania_page/steeringdamper.jpg

(Edit - fixed link - mod)

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
Steering Damper
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2007, 06:19:22 AM »
you can get the scotts for $404 which i think is cheaper than the hyper pro... at the end of the day it's all personal preference i guess.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike