Author Topic: Steering Damper  (Read 7205 times)

Offline Fordtech

• Board Homesteader!
Steering Damper
« on: January 22, 2007, 07:27:11 PM »
Hey ppl.
  In case anyone is interested...Hyperpro USA makes a reactive Damper for the Bandits. Pick a color...blue, red, gold, gunmetal. or polished aluminum. The mounting is Ducati 916 style a la top mount. Fast service...and they look bitchin'. I just got one...not mounted yet..

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Steering Damper
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 10:48:51 AM »
Does this one require welding - like the Scott?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Fordtech

• Board Homesteader!
Steering Damper
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 12:48:01 PM »
Hey Red01
  No welding cutting drilling etc. bolts around the headstock and to the tank rubber mounting point on the frame. Another mount goes through another frame hole under tank. They send a 3mm steering stop for the left side as I am guessing the stroke of the damper is short??? I dunno. I have not bolted it on yet as it is -15 outside. The part that holds the damper is attached to the handlebar mounts looks like a pretty easy install.
www.hyperprousa.com
No pics of the bandit....To get a rough idea....check out the Yamaha Fazer..06.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Steering Damper
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 01:20:08 PM »
:worthless:
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Re: Steering Damper
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 03:33:28 PM »
When you are finished with the install please let us know if along with bing factor there is any difference, less head-shake exc. . Also pics of the install if possible. Thanks

Quote from: "Fordtech"
Hey ppl.
  In case anyone is interested...Hyperpro USA makes a reactive Damper for the Bandits. Pick a color...blue, red, gold, gunmetal. or polished aluminum. The mounting is Ducati 916 style a la top mount. Fast service...and they look bitchin'. I just got one...not mounted yet..

Offline Fordtech

• Board Homesteader!
Steering Damper
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 07:37:17 PM »
I will do that. Like I said ....in reply to previous poster who said worthless thread without pics. IT IS MINUS BLOODY 15 outside and am not installing it until the temp is humane....I will post pics ASAP......
As far as the instructions go..pretty straight forward though...PLUS the damper itself is a really nice piece.
Aslo I really never had headshake prob's, BUT...after changing the rear shock for a GSXR unit, which tends to sit the rear higher, I could feel a little "unsteadiness" when pushed hard....as in hard cornering at 150 km/hr.......Did I say that out loud officer....??? I meant 50 yeah that's it.....

Offline Banditofdoom

• Board Homesteader!
Steering Damper
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 07:49:58 PM »
Its listed as only 95-99 models   :sad:
Someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car.

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
Steering Damper
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 10:48:38 AM »
My old Gixer had one. Rock steady. I noticed on my new B12 last year, once or twice when I was on the throttle in a corner even at 100 kph that I got a bit of shimmy at the front end. I'll probably install one. Did you mention the pricing?
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
Steering Damper
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 10:51:42 AM »
Wow, just found the pricing. Maybe I'll be waitin for a bit.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Steering Damper
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 11:24:52 AM »
Me also, at first thought I was imagining things. Installed Super Fork Brace and never had it happen again so far. But I do think a dampener would be great for those on handed moments, too bad the years listed don't cover gen2.

Quote from: "Rocketjock"
My old Gixer had one. Rock steady. I noticed on my new B12 last year, once or twice when I was on the throttle in a corner even at 100 kph that I got a bit of shimmy at the front end. I'll probably install one. Did you mention the pricing?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Steering Damper
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 11:36:16 AM »
Holeshot makes one for the 2G that's a bolt-on..
Scott has one of the rotary types for both Gens, but it does require a small bit of welding.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Steering Damper
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 04:14:17 AM »
I remember seeing the Holeshot product. As I recall it seemed a little pricey and looked a little awkward. Maybe the color seem on these seem more attractive along with box ready installation (no welding), made me take more interest. I hate the thought of welding on my still new bike or paying the high cost of welding to have someone else do it.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Steering Damper
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 11:06:30 AM »
The Holeshot unit doesn't require any welding and is a complete bolt-on, too.

Here's the Holeshot unit on a naked B12:

The S model gets a different mounting system though and is virtually hidden when installed.

I don't have one, but one of my riding friends had a '01 B12N with one (he's on a Busa now), and he said it worked great.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
Steering Damper
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 01:10:47 AM »
:beers:
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Steering Damper
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 11:02:10 PM »
I don't remember it looking that good in the advertisement. I wonder why none of the steering dampeners made for road bikes are designed to be incorporated into the steering head like on dirt bikes, probably because the cockpit on street bikes is already to busy with other things and of course sports divergence. Guess I will have to take a second look at Holeshot. Has anyone ever impaled there genitals  or bent the thing getting off. I suppose its a moot point with the "S" modle.
Quote from: "Red01"
The Holeshot unit doesn't require any welding and is a complete bolt-on, too.

Here's the Holeshot unit on a naked B12:

The S model gets a different mounting system though and is virtually hidden when installed.

I don't have one, but one of my riding friends had a '01 B12N with one (he's on a Busa now), and he said it worked great.