Author Topic: Dog bones to retain stock ride height  (Read 3348 times)

Offline okbandit

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Dog bones to retain stock ride height
« on: May 04, 2007, 10:29:48 AM »
I have drawn up a set of dog bones that are + 1/4" over stock.  That should return to gen 2 with a busa shock to stock ride height or lower 1" if using whatever.  I can get them laser cut in aluminum for $20 a set.  Anyone want some?  Also can get - 1/4 if you want those.  Need to get the quantity up to 10 sets to get the laser people to hold their price.  Steel price is 5.50 a set, but then you have to paint, plate, etc.  Let me know which way to go here.  While we are at it, pair blocker plates are $10 a set laser cut.  These are my cost -no profit.  I have a good work relationship with a laser shop.
2001 B12-HS stage II, HS full exhaust, Gsxr cam

Offline DaveG

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 12:03:44 PM »
i would be interested in the blocker plates.

do you have the drawings for those as i couold make a set in our machine shop, just too lazy to measure myself.

Offline okbandit

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 01:29:20 PM »
Sure do send me a pm with your email.  It will be in .DWG format drawn to size but not dimensioned.  Hopefully you will be using a cnc.

Offline gnip

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 01:40:52 AM »
Are you saying you can lower my stock 2000 1200s 1" for $5.50?  What grade Al?
F.N.G.
Y2K 1200S

Offline okbandit

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 09:19:32 AM »
Not exactly.  If you had a 2001-2005 1200 then yes.  The aluminum price is closer to $20 for 6061-t6.  Steel bones are $5.50 a set.  If you get me the dimensions for a first gen like your 2000 I will draw those up as well.  To be honest there isn't much interest as of yet so it may not happen.  I don't want to get stuck with a mess of dogbones as the minimum quantity for the price I was quoted is 20 pieces (10 sets).

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 10:46:39 AM »
Robert,

Count me in for either steel or aluminum so I will have the option of stock ride height on my 02 B1200 with a Hayabusa shock.  

I like the idea of steel best because it is super strong and weight savings for aluminum are not significant for a street bike.

Also it is "sprung weight" where a small weight savings will have little impact on suspension effectiveness. (If we were talking about wheel parts I would want as little weight as possible but for dogbones that isn't really a factor.)

That said, I will go with whatever the others want because either aluminum or steel will do the job.

Thanks,

Dave
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline okbandit

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 08:55:51 PM »
I am going to have them made in steel as well as a mess of the block off plates.  I will post when they come in.  As a reminder they are $5.50 a set for the bones in bare steel.

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 04:07:33 PM »
I could be wrong, but I think 1/4" may be too much. It doesn't take much to get the drop. I think I used 3mm when I had a pair made. I'm not sure what that = in inches.
   I've been wrong befor,once I thought I was wrong but I was just mistaken.  Dan

Offline okbandit

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 03:20:15 PM »
These #'s came from a gen 2 frame and swingarm that I have in my shop.  The ratio is almost exactly 4 to 1 on this bike, however the first gen and b6's are likely different.  1/4" I believe is 6.35mm as a reference.  If anyone has the other bike ratio's for swingarm to shock travel please post.  I am not opposed to making some for the other bikes.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 03:42:31 PM »
Going by what Dale says about his links, it sounds like the 1G & 2G use the same struts and the B6 is different. I'm not sure by what he says if there's a difference in the 1G & 2G 600 though because it's not 100% clear.

Quote from: "Holeshot site"

[ c e n t e r ] x x x x [ / c e n t e r ]

Dales Adjustable Bandit struts are an easy bolt on. These will raise or lower the 1200s about 1.25+" or 600s about 2.0+".

Raising the back will quicken up the steering a bit for the canyon carver plus add needed ground clearance. Lowering the back makes it more flat footed for shorter rider and also makes for much harder drag strip type launches if you're a weekend warrior at your local track.

These can be adjusted in minutes by removing the lower mounting bolt only. They are precision laser cut from 1018 steel so strength is not an issue. The super tough finish is a beautiful laser black powder coat with a slight metallic silver added.

Note: The Holeshot Struts will only lower the 2000+ Bandit 600s and will not raise them.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline okbandit

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 06:53:59 PM »
It has finally happened, the parts are in.  I have 5 sets of shorter-raises 1 inch, and 5 sets of longer-lowers one inch or returns to stock height with a busa shock.   While I was at it I made 10 sets of pair block off plates so those are ready as well. :motorsmile:

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 09:59:58 PM »
Robert,

That is great news!  

How much should I send to cover one pair plus shipping to 34231?  

I want to be able to return to stock ride height with my Hayabusa shock.

Dave
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator