Author Topic: Suzuki says: Bandit 1250 Discontinued in U.S.!  (Read 7147 times)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Suzuki says: Bandit 1250 Discontinued in U.S.!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 11:41:46 AM »
Quote from: "H2RICK"
Who the heck would wish for a driveshaft ?? Yes, I realize it's the must-have feature for tourers but hopefully Suzuki keeps the emphasis for the Bandit on the "sport" side of the equation. Chain drive is one of the top 3 reasons that helped me with my buying decision. Everybody knows that REAL men ride big-bore chain driven road burners with carburators and air cooling. :bigok: :wink:  :lol:
Nope, if I EVER feel the desire to own a shaft driven bike, I'll know I'm ready for the retirement home.
And for all those 1250 owners ready to flame me over the water cooling/fuel injection things......I'm sure the 1250 is a great bike....for you....but it's just not my cup of tea.
I have a feeling that I'm going to own my 2.5G 1200 for a lonnnggggg time before a suitable replacement appears.....if one EVER does.....

Rick, I'm with ya 100% on the chain drive. A driveshaft would not only ruin the accel/deccel in the corners, but would add another 100 lbs... there's good reason why you don't see shafties on the race track very often. And chain mainentance is so simple and easy, even a caveman could do it.  :lol:

As for the aircooled carb thing, well, each to their own. Been there, done that, it was great, time to move on. I'm glad I don't have to keep up with all the carburetor problems anymore, and every time I browse all the carb problem threads posted on this board, well, I feel liberated, y'know?  :bandit:  :stickpoke:  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 11:54:37 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"
They wouldn't need to (and shouldn't, IMHO) call a B1250 powered sport-touring rig a Bandit. I'm just saying with the old Connie being replaced by the new C14, there's a market opening for a budget ST machine, and Suzuki could fill it with such a machine.

I agree... if Suzuki wants to put the B1250 motor in a new shaft-drive ST bike and compete with the C14 I'm sure they'd outsell it by a mile, especially if they leave out all the electronic gizmos that are giving the new Connie "issues", and keep it under $10K.

But leave the Bandit ALONE. She's just right the way she is.  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Nitro

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 06:47:38 PM »
[Who the heck would wish for a driveshaft ??

I would prefer a shaft drive, or even better, belt drive. If/when Buell puts the Rotax engine in a Ulysses (or new sport/tour model), I may take a serious look.
97 Bandit 1200S

Offline wristwister

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 07:35:36 PM »
I have a feeling that I'm going to own my 2.5G 1200 for a lonnnggggg time before a suitable replacement appears.....if one EVER does.....

Don't hold your breath on the "suitable replacement" thing. There's a reason 'zuki had to totally redesign the Bandit, the 1200's couldn't be made to pass new emmissions standards.

But don't feel bad, I still love my old GT750, and 2-strokes were outlawed from the streets 30 years ago!
'07 Bandit 1250
'75 GT750 2-smoker

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 11:54:16 AM »
Yep, wristwister, unfortunately you're probably right about the emissions thing and air cooled motors.......but I've never paid much heed to the EPA and their "desire" to get rid of interesting bikes, as you can see from my sig line. Looks like my 2.5G Bandito will be with me for quite awhile.....if I can keep her out of ditches, etc.  :lol:  :lol:
Well, Zen, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the carbs vs.FI and air vs. water cooling issues.
Wonky carbs can usually be bodged enough on the side of the road to get you somewhere where there's a shop with tools. FI doesn't offer that option.....currently. When bike-based FI is as dependable as current cage-based FI then I'll rethink this part of the equation.
Water cooling, IMHO, just adds a whole 'nother layer of complexity/weight/maintenance/reliability issues that I'd rather not deal with, especially when my bike gets older. Unlike a lot of people, I tend to keep my vehicles for long stretches rather than flog them off every three or four years......so durability is a prime issue with me....and durability is usually an outgrowth of simplicity.
Heck, I'm not really happy with having even the throttle position sensor gimcrackery on my bike. Look at the TPS maladjusted/gone bad posts and you'll see why......
but I guess I'll have to live with it and just keep checking it once or twice a year.
Well, that's enough from me on this stuff, fer shure !!! :wink:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 03:39:19 PM »
Try unplugging the TPS sometime. It'll still run. Some say they can't tell the difference.
(Never have experimented with it myself... If it ain't broke, don't fix it.)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline wristwister

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 04:38:11 PM »
.......but I've never paid much heed to the EPA and their "desire" to get rid of interesting bikes, as you can see from my sig line.

Quite a collection you got there H2! Glad to know that my GT750 and I can share the blame with someone else for depletion of the ozone layer and global warming!
'07 Bandit 1250
'75 GT750 2-smoker

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 02:29:52 PM »
Well, so much for the 1250 being discontinued.

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=9962