Author Topic: Suzuki says: Bandit 1250 Discontinued in U.S.!  (Read 7148 times)

Offline jcc11

• New user!
Suzuki says: Bandit 1250 Discontinued in U.S.!
« on: September 10, 2007, 05:45:44 PM »
Hello to all.  This is my first post.  I live in the Maryland, U.S.

I am in the process of trying to purchase a Bandit 1250SA (abs), but all dealers in my area are out of stock for 2007.  They say they will not receive any more for this model year.

As you well know, this bike has been extremely well received by the motorcycle media and press (Best Bike for the Money, etc.).  I certainly understand why they roll out the dealer's door so quickly.

Unfortunately, my local dealers seem fixated on steering me toward purchasing some other bike on the showroom floor in an effort to unload their remaining 2007 inventory as we move into the upcoming cool weather.  When I tell them that I want a Bandit 1250SA ABS, they don't go out of their way to be helpful.

Because of this, I called Suzuki Headquarters of North America to find out when the 2008 Bandit 1250's will be released (since my dealers play dumb when asked).  Suzuki told me that the Bandit is not going to be manufactured or released in 2008 in the U.S.!! :sad:

Can this be true?? How can a bike that has been completely redesigned for 2007, and be such a praised addition to the Suzuki lineup, be discontinued in 2008? :annoy:

Please share any insight you have.

Chris (jcc11)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
You need to look a little harder... ;)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 05:55:14 PM »
I just did a quick search for new 2007 Bandits on http://www.CycleTrader.com and it came back with lots of dealers offering new 1250's (7 pages worth)... including an ad from Delmarva Powersports in Fruitland, MD on the first page. (I didn't look any further than that.)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline woodsm

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 10:17:04 PM »
Unfortunately, my local dealers seem fixated on steering me toward purchasing some other bike on the showroom floor in an effort to unload their remaining 2007 inventory as we move into the upcoming cool weather. When I tell them that I want a Bandit 1250SA ABS, they don't go out of their way to be helpful.

You need a better dealer.  My local shop found my ABS bike in the next state, worked out a trade with the dealer that had it, and went to get it.  I have two local shops.  This one is great, but the other has a sales staff of morons.  They did the same as the dealer you are working with, and tried to sell me a Kawi Z1000, saying that "you don't need ABS".  Most fun was asking the dope if he had ever ridden a bike with ABS, and why he thought I didn't need it.  The result was a blank stare.  
I would call around.  Try the dealer in the last post, and make more calls if necessary.  They are out there, and I seriously doubt they are beign dropped.  Suzuki would not go to the expense of EPA certification to drop the model in one year.

Offline the ferret

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 10:58:10 PM »
That would be about the stupidist thing Suzuki could ever do. Wouldn't happen.
41 years on 2 wheels and have enjoyed every minute of it

Offline houndawg

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 11:13:35 PM »
marina suzuki has a 1250  red oakland md near deep creek lake
1979 gs1000  2007 1250 bandit

Offline jcc11

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 06:36:54 PM »
Finally spoke to a dealer that clarified things a bit.  He said that the 1250S and SA are not listed in the "2008 Early Release Book".

This is not to say that they will not be released later in 2008, but spring of '08 or later would be likely.  He added that he doubted that Suzuki would discontinue the bike altogether, but these are all just educated guesses.

He believes that the bike was so wildly popular in Europe, Suzuki allowed only a limited distribution in the US, in an effort to ship as many Bandits as possible to the other side of the Atlantic.

Chris

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 12:45:07 PM »
I doubt very much they would discontinue the B1250 or B650 so soon... since they have already introduced the Suzuki line of accessories for it here in the states. Not to mention it won Motorcycle of the Year (best value, Motorcyclist).  :bandit:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Ed G.

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 02:37:06 PM »
Unfortunately, when I was on a Suzuki dealer site and clicked on new, 2008, bikes the entire line of bikes appeared, except, there was no Bandit.  

Suzuki is introducing the B-King as a 2008.  It is a standard with a re-tuned Hyabusa engine.  It makes perverse sense that Suzuki would not want to have a functionally equivalent $8,000 Bandit in the same showroom competing  with a $12000 B-King.

Ed G.
Moderation in all things, including moderation
Oscar Wilde
Ed G.
Moderation in all things, including moderation.
Oscar Wilde

Offline jcc11

• New user!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 02:57:23 PM »
Quote from: "Ed G."
Unfortunately, when I was on a Suzuki dealer site and clicked on new, 2008, bikes the entire line of bikes appeared, except, there was no Bandit.  

Suzuki is introducing the B-King as a 2008.  It is a standard with a re-tuned Hyabusa engine.  It makes perverse sense that Suzuki would not want to have a functionally equivalent $8,000 Bandit in the same showroom competing  with a $12000 B-King.

Ed G.
Moderation in all things, including moderation
Oscar Wilde

I noticed this on the dealer website as well.  The B-King and the Bandit do not appeal to the exact same market of buyers, but they are both sport standards.

Chris

Offline heath3n

• Board Homesteader!
  • '04 ZZR1200
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 10:32:06 PM »
oh this will SO blow if it's true! :banghead:  I'm waiting until suzuki had added the entire '08 lineup to their website before I believe it.
Lord help me be the person my dog thinks I am![/i]

Offline Roy

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 10:42:46 PM »
If this so which I doubt it is the '07 models that everyone has now just went up in value. :congrats:

People will be seeking out these un-wanted bikes and it will be a name your price market,,,glad I have a '07 1250 :grin:
'07 Bandit 1250S
'07 RM-Z450 RC edition
'06 GSX-R1000
'82 GS1000SZ Katana

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 01:34:00 AM »
More urban myths, IMO. As Zen and Woodsm pointed out, it is VERY doubtful that the Big S would go to all the trouble to completely redesign/toolup for a new engine AND get EPA certification for just one year's worth of sales.
As well, I agree that the B-King and the Bandit definitely do NOT appeal to the same markets, although Banditdom may see some "defections" to the B-King.....if those same current Bandit owners can get past the B-King's....errrrr....ummm....
unique (yeah, that's the word...unique) appearance. :lol:
That big 'Busa motor, even detuned, is still a fearsome (and undoubtedly seductive) piece of work, IMO. Heck, even I might be tempted to take a spin on one, as "unique-appearing" as it is.......although I'd probably have to be blindfolded and helped into the saddle by others so I wouldn't have to actually look at it....:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Nope, I think that for whatever dopey marketing and/or production reason(s), Suzuki seems to want to release the Bandit as the last bike in their lineup pretty much every model year. So, US folks, keep the faith until ~February or March when the 2008 Bandits WILL hit your local dealers' floors. Remember: Anticipation heightens delight. :wink:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 11:17:51 PM »
Quote from: "Ed G."

I think you're jumping the gun here.  :wink:

I think this earlier post sums it up correctly:

Quote from: "jcc11"
Finally spoke to a dealer that clarified things a bit. He said that the 1250S and SA are not listed in the "2008 Early Release Book".

This is not to say that they will not be released later in 2008, but spring of '08 or later would be likely. He added that he doubted that Suzuki would discontinue the bike altogether, but these are all just educated guesses.

He believes that the bike was so wildly popular in Europe, Suzuki allowed only a limited distribution in the US, in an effort to ship as many Bandits as possible to the other side of the Atlantic.

Chris

Dealers' websites are going to parrot Mother Suzuki's site for 2008 models... and currently, Mother Suzuki isn't showing the '08 Bandit, or the '08 anything else that hasn't changed for the next model year beyond typical "BNG".

Personally, I'm rooting for a 1250 version of the '08 GSX650F - the Bandit 650 derived Katana replacement wearing GSXR inspired bodywork, but with more humane ergonomics... but that's probably in vain. Just like wishing for a low-budget B1250 powered sport-tourer with a driveshaft. (Now that Kawi has moved the Connie upscale with the new C-14, the market for a sub $10K ST machine is wide open and the Bandit could be a great springboard.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 11:30:56 AM »
low-budget B1250 powered sport-tourer with a driveshaft.

Who the heck would wish for a driveshaft ?? Yes, I realize it's the must-have feature for tourers but hopefully Suzuki keeps the emphasis for the Bandit on the "sport" side of the equation. Chain drive is one of the top 3 reasons that helped me with my buying decision. Everybody knows that REAL men ride big-bore chain driven road burners with carburators and air cooling. :bigok: :wink:  :lol:
Nope, if I EVER feel the desire to own a shaft driven bike, I'll know I'm ready for the retirement home.
And for all those 1250 owners ready to flame me over the water cooling/fuel injection things......I'm sure the 1250 is a great bike....for you....but it's just not my cup of tea.
I have a feeling that I'm going to own my 2.5G 1200 for a lonnnggggg time before a suitable replacement appears.....if one EVER does.....
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 11:40:23 AM »
They wouldn't need to (and shouldn't, IMHO) call a B1250 powered sport-touring rig a Bandit. I'm just saying with the old Connie being replaced by the new C14, there's a market opening for a budget ST machine, and Suzuki could fill it with such a machine.

And I guess I'm ready for the retirement home, because I don't enjoy dealing with chain issues anymore. I'm pretty sure my next bike will be a sporty bagger shaftie. (That's not gonna happen in the near future though.) Perhaps after owning one, I'll long for the days of my Bandit, I'll just hafta wait and see.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)