Author Topic: Taller Windshield for 1250? HELP!  (Read 24595 times)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Taller Windshield for 1250? HELP!
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2007, 02:59:01 AM »
Shouldn't have to mess with the grips, but you do have to remove the bar-ends. The kit comes with longer screws for those and longer pivot bolts for the levers.

There'll be a few extra parts left over such as the rubber boot for the clutch cable, since our bike has a hydraulic clutch. The instructions are pretty clear though, and you'll figure out the few small discrepencies easily.
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2007, 10:39:01 AM »
OK, the screen install took longer than expected. I had trouble with the threaded rubber bushes that hold the screen in place. Two dropped out meaning that I had to remove the screen twice to be able to re-position them. Tip: they push in from the front and putting a little saliva on them makes them slide in a bit easier.

Refitting the instruments is also a bit of a pain - I was able to completely remove mine by loosening the connector on the back under the rubber cover - there is a little plastic lug in the center that has to be pushed in to release the connector. Putting it back is trickier since there are several points where it should snap into place. With the original Suzuki screen you can probably see through the screen to guide you but the smoke finish of the MRA prevents this. It took a bit of fiddling to get the job done and to have it all snap back into place. While the instruments were out, I upgraded the bulbs to Philips performance2night blue bulbs that claim an additional 30% output while remaining at 55W.

The screen is now in place and looks better on the bike than it does in pictures on the Web.
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2007, 12:10:01 PM »
Several folks have reported trouble with the rubber expansion nuts falling out. Though I didn't have any trouble with them myself, I'm thinking I should add a note about that in the tutorial.

I thought about unplugging the instrument cluster, but I didn't know whether that might alter the settings or make me re-set the clock.... how is your digital display now?

Anyway,  :congrats:  on getting it installed... now go for a long ride, play with the spoiler, and give us your impressions, ok?  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2007, 03:00:20 PM »
Fine. No problem. The clock still shows the correct time. It has to survive a total loss of power should the battery be disconnected. I guess it has it's own small battery inside that gets topped up by the main battery or some kind of capacitor that keeps thing held up for a while. Otherwise it would make it too easy for dishonest folk to disconnect the instruments and zero the clocks.

BTW, I put new bulbs in and contrary to what the manual says, it is much easier to turn the bars to the left and reach down inside the fairing to get to the up/down adjuster. I did this tonight meaning that I could sit on the bike to make the adjustments - much easier!  :grin:
David

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2007, 05:27:21 AM »
Tried the screen on the way to work and didn't notice much difference. Still a breeze and still got bugs on my visor. Only tried the bottom two positions so far so I'll try from the other end on the way home tonight.

What I DID notice was that the whirring of the front discs when the brake is applied isn't so noticeable. Strange...
David

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2007, 12:54:05 PM »
Of course you'll still have a "breeze"... the windscreen is designed to reduce air pressure, thus eliminating wind blast and buffeting. There isn't a sport-screen made that will creat a bubble of still air behind it. You'd need a windscreen the size of a barn door to do that!   :lol:

Keep riding, and playing with the spoiler. I noticed a big difference right away, but our local roads and riding conditions may differ. I still get bugs on my face-shield, but only about 20% as many as I used to. And I don't think I would even want dead air, it's nice to have a breeze in my helmet vents, and be able to open my face-shield to cool off on hot days.  :motorsmile: