Author Topic: Tank bag for 1250s  (Read 3904 times)

Offline Ash Tekka

• TURBO TYPER!
Tank bag for 1250s
« on: April 07, 2008, 05:12:13 PM »
The tank bag I have now (rapid transit recon I think) is starting to fall apart.
I've been looking for a new bag for awhile but can't seem to find one that looks/fits good with the size & shape of the bandit gas tank.

I'm thinking strap mount vs. magnet since the one I have is scratching my paint and leaving marks that require a good deal of waxing to get out.

So whats everyone use or preference on tank bags?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Tank bag for 1250s
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 04:35:13 PM »
With magnet bags, always be sure the tank and bag's bottom are clean.  Place the bag straight down and pull it straight up so the magnets don't move on the tank.  That'll go a LONG ways towards minimizing scratching.

My son purchased a Rapid Transit Recon 19 bag last summer and the zipper broke on it.  He took it back to the dealer where he got it and they gave him a new one - this was just a few days ago.

He likes the way the bag is set up, but I'm a little iffy if this is an indicator of their quality.  My Joe Rocket bag is now ~7 years old and is still holding up just fine.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Ash Tekka

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 05:13:49 PM »
I got mine at the begining of the season last year.
I don't think it will last the season
I love the styling on them but they just don't seem to last.

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 05:32:13 PM »
I am happy with my ixon Xpand tank bag, but it's not for everyone. If I was buying one today, I'd probably get a Gears Sport bag http://www.gearscanada.com/motorcycle-tank-bags.html
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 01:49:03 AM »
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1859/451/

Doesn't touch paint, easy on/off, holds a lot.

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 10:19:56 AM »
I got a Nelson Rigg magnetic bag a few years ago from New Enough and has held up well. Plus with Rigg you get a lifetime guarantee which is nice.

I do the same thing that Red suggested. I pick up the flaps first and hold them against the bag, then lift straight up. Keeps the scuffing down to a minimum.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S

Offline Ash Tekka

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 02:03:22 PM »
I got a Nelson Rigg magnetic bag a few years ago from New Enough and has held up well. Plus with Rigg you get a lifetime guarantee which is nice.

I do the same thing that Red suggested. I pick up the flaps first and hold them against the bag, then lift straight up. Keeps the scuffing down to a minimum.
Thats how I take mine off too, unfortunately the very front of it rubs on the handlebars in the middle and causes the bag to move ever so slightly as I ride

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 11:37:55 PM »
I use a joe rocket manta xl and am happy with it so far . jmho Mark
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline KenB

• Board Homesteader!
    • Ken's Home Site
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 08:47:52 PM »
I'm in a similar situation. My little old Cortech Super Mini tank bag is falling apart. The bag that skyrider linked to is like the one I'm leaning toward. Those Bags-Connection tank bags get great owner reviews. Kinda pricey but apparently they last forever. I'm probably going for one a little bigger than the "Daypack II". The Engage model seems to be just right for this bike. And it's actually the one shown on all the Suzuki Bandit marketing literature.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2131/

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Offline Ash Tekka

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 09:14:47 PM »
My concern with those is the gas cap mounting system.  While its a cool idea it basically is limiting my use of those bags to only my bandit.

Those bags are wicked awesome and have some cool accesories that you can get for them as well.  Why is cool stuff always so expensive :grin: