Author Topic: To go...where...no man....has gone before. T3  (Read 7253 times)

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
To go...where...no man....has gone before. T3
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 12:33:17 AM »
="Mini4x"]Why are poeple so cheap assed about tires..

Two most important things on a bike (or car) are good tires and good brakes, why go cheap on either.

You can get a set of Pilots for $200.  You get what you pay for with tires.

I mounted mine myself, and had tehm balanced for $8.00/wheel.
So true Mini! But there are alot of tires out there that are all advertising hype! because your tires go around the AMA track don't mean they make the best for I95 speeds and will give the miles i need! $135.00 to the door for a set that will hold up to any i've used, and thats been a few!! 10k+ front 8k on the rear and cornered on wet and dry pavement better than any others. The 009 stinko's down to earth great quality long lasting tires!! They just don't cost alot. Recrapped? I don't think soooo!  :stickpoke:  :beers:  :motorsmile:  :bigok:

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 02:04:30 AM »
yeah my main reason for goin with the cheepos is 1. because i am young and don't really have a good job, therefore am not made of money...I.E. I cant friggin afford the best of everything. and 2. nobody had tried the T3 on here but I have buddies that stunt back in Des Moines and Tomahawk has been sponsoring them for years and they havent had any complaints. I figure if a tire can run at 5psi so they can 12 their Gixers and then they pump up the tire and do interstate runs and dumbass speeds, I can prolly poke around on my Bandit with no problem.
01 1200s

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 02:10:45 AM »
Quote from: Mini4x
Why are poeple so cheap assed about tires..

Two most important things on a bike (or car) are good tires and good brakes, why go cheap on either.

You can get a set of Pilots for $200.  You get what you pay for with tires.

I mounted mine myself, and had tehm balanced for $8.00/wheel.

I agree, to a point.  Yes you should by the best tyre you can that suits the style of riding you do.

There is absolutely no point getting super soft sticky race replica rubber, if you only do highway legal speeds, the tyre doesn't get hot enough to really work and all you do is destroy (cook) it.

Quotes from Bike Point Australia (http://www.bikepoint.com.au/portal/alias__bikepointau/tabID__5766/BikeArticleID__118503/BikeTipType__Setup/DesktopDefault.aspx)

"The difficulty with good rubber is that the average rider is not going to take it up to the temperature or load that it's designed to deal with. If the tyre isn't being used to that level, it won't regenerate itself by shedding layers of rubber at the correct rate. For a tyre to stick, it needs to present a fresh layer of rubber to the road surface."

and

"A current model GP road tyre such as the 208GP Dunlop needs to be ridden with a certain amount of force or load to perform at its best. If it isn't ridden to that level, then the layers of rubber tend not to shed. This means that they have been heated, but not heated enough to be released.

They then stay stuck to the tyre and the tyre has less grip (this is what is meant when a tyre is 'cooked'). This leaves you wondering what happened. You've got the best tyres on, you got in a little hot in one turn, and when you really needed the tyre, it just let go.

and

"What's the solution? Simple. Select a tyre that is suited to the type of riding you're going to be doing (and the speed you travel at) rather than the "grippiest" and you'll get the best performance possible. The truth is that most riders would get much more value from the street-based versions of the race-spec tyre.
Don't think that a softer compound or 'racier' tyre is going to be the best solution for you. It could be quite the reverse."
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 10:18:41 AM »
="tannerismyhero"]yeah my main reason for goin with the cheepos is 1. because i am young and don't really have a good job, therefore am not made of money...I.E. I cant friggin afford the best of everything. and 2. nobody had tried the T3 on here but I have buddies that stunt back in Des Moines and Tomahawk has been sponsoring them for years and they havent had any complaints. I figure if a tire can run at 5psi so they can 12 their Gixers and then they pump up the tire and do interstate runs and dumbass speeds, I can prolly poke around on my Bandit with no problem.
Hey Bud! I hope you don't take my comments about recrapped tires to heart!!! If so i am sorry! I'm glad you did check em out cause i was tempted too, If I still had my B12 with the 200+ miles per week commuting i would have! Busa? Na but will get the stinko's when i need some! Hey! Buds with sponsors or not! The shinko's Rock!!!    :beers:  :bigok:

Offline nwetherill

• Board Regular!
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 12:29:45 PM »
Quote from: tannerismyhero
Moron doesn't begin to say what these guys are. They are nice, don't get me wrong, but I think I may start taking my stuff to a yamaha dealer if I can't tackle it myself.

Nwetherill....You got the T3  or the Shinko?

I have the T3's and have had nothing but good luck with them. I figured I would give them a try on the street so I could use them on drag days.

I do also agree that you get what you pay for. These tires are heavy, and they are very slippery in the rain ohter than that they are a great tire.  At least the set I got.  I have not heard any stories of them being dangerous at all.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Offline Mini4x

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2006, 09:45:29 AM »
It's a sticking point for me..  I work part time at a auto tire store..

Had a guy with a MB S600 (you know that huge ass 400+ hp slab slayer..) come in and want to know the cheapest tire he could get?  for his $125,000 car..  if you can't afford the RIGHT tire sell the car!  Those cars are HEAVY and require a Z rated tire, not just for the speed but the higher rated tires usualyl have stronger sidewalls and carcasses to support that huge hauler.

For motorcycle tires, I used to run cheng-shis or something on my dirt bikes, cheapest thing you can find.  but for street tires, I'll spend the extra few dollars on something I know I can trust, is made well, and will last.  Heck living in Mass I'm lucky to get 5,000 miles a year on my Bandit, so whats $200 every other year.

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2006, 12:54:46 PM »
="Mini4x"]It's a sticking point for me..  I work part time at a auto tire store..

Had a guy with a MB S600 (you know that huge ass 400+ hp slab slayer..) come in and want to know the cheapest tire he could get?  for his $125,000 car..  if you can't afford the RIGHT tire sell the car!  Those cars are HEAVY and require a Z rated tire, not just for the speed but the higher rated tires usualyl have stronger sidewalls and carcasses to support that huge hauler. For motorcycle tires, I used to run cheng-shis or something on my dirt bikes, cheapest thing you can find.  but for street tires, I'll spend the extra few dollars on something I know I can trust, is made well, and will last.  Heck living in Mass I'm lucky to get 5,000 miles a year on my Bandit, so whats $200 every other year.

Your choice and for that kinda miles i would tooo! But being in the biz U will have to admit its the quality control that makes the tire what it is! The bottom line is why Bridgrock drove firestone to do what it did! True they must make $$$ but we are getting ripped off on M/C tires. Stinko's ROCK!!!! :shock:  :beers:  :motorsmile:  :bigok:

Offline Mini4x

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2006, 07:31:32 AM »
Quote from: Daytona
Your choice and for that kinda miles i would tooo! But being in the biz U will have to admit its the quality control that makes the tire what it is! The bottom line is why Bridgrock drove firestone to do what it did! True they must make $$$ but we are getting ripped off on M/C tires. Stinko's ROCK!!!! :shock:  :beers:  :motorsmile:  :bigok:

LOL..

Quality control.. exactly..  Michelin has just about the best quality control around that why I stick to them for the most part, on the bike, on the cage too.  

I just don't think it could put something called "Stinko" on my bike!

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 11:00:58 AM »
="Mini4x"]I just don't think it could put something called "Stinko" on my bike!
Hey no problem! Your loss!!! 009 Raven Radial: SHINKO 190/50ZR17 R009  $84.99 $$$$ is what rule here! and these are as good or better than the Mich Mac 100's, Rear tire, the front mate to the Mac 100 is pure crap!!! I can tell you from experience !!! Only prob with the stinko's is most don't want to run the rite PSI!! Which will kill any!!!    :beers:  :beers:  :bigok:  :motorsmile: