Author Topic: To replace pads or not to replace pads...  (Read 2059 times)

Offline elbandito

• TURBO TYPER!
To replace pads or not to replace pads...
« on: June 16, 2007, 04:24:03 PM »
As some of you read in my other thread about my new tires, I recently replace the rear pads on my B6.  They were worn almost to the backing plates.  I assumed my front pads were similarly worn, so I picked some up today.  I pulled off the front calipers and, nope, they were hardly worn at all.  I went ahead and replaced the brake fluid (since it was the original fluid) and left the old pads on.  

So, should I replace the front pads for any reason?  The bike has almost 10k miles on it and is an '02.

I know, I know, I should use my front brake more.  What I need to know is whether or not the pads should be replaced solely based on age.

Thanks!!
Eric
2002 Bandit 600S
Zero Gravity double-bubble, EXL luggage, not much more!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 05:39:58 PM »
No age changing requirement... but your brake wear should be the opposite.

Which reminds me... I should probably go check the condition of my brake pads. It has been a while since I looked.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 11:39:56 PM »
No age changing requirement

+1  You only need to change the pads for
a) Wear
b) Upgrade.

I went to EBC HH fronts as they have a little more initial bite than the stockers. That with the steel braided lines improved the front brakes a noticable amount.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 12:55:30 AM »
ANd while we're talking brake pads.  I replaced my front pads today (at 33,600 miles).  When I had the tires replaced ealier this week, the service tech was very concerned an I told her I had them at home and could do them.  But there was still a line in pad, and they weren't totally shot, but I did go ahead and do it.

And I want to say that thanks to the folks her at B.A., it was very easy.  Last summer I did the rear brake pads for the first time, and I had to try three times before I was able, because I kept getting stuck and had to come backand post a follow-up question.

Today it was a breeze; the hardest part was remembering what I used to push the calipers back to accomodate the fat new pads.  (The answer:  A nice wide, smooth, flat wrench.)

I also replaced the clutch fluid, which I did just 16,700 miles ago (14 months ago).  I wasn't brown, but it wasn't light gold, either, and with the mighty vac, that's another 5-minute job.

Careful, y'all--I'm not only learnin', I'm 'membering the next time I need to reuse the skill!
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car