Author Topic: Wallowing?  (Read 7467 times)

Offline billster

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/billst/03gsf1200/
Wallowing?
« on: November 02, 2005, 08:25:06 PM »
I've got 6500mi. on my year old '03 B12N....OEM Macadams, stock shock and front suspension...front preloads fully down and rear on 5 with dampener on 4.  Fork tubes slid up 1" in the clamps.  Past month and a half the thing cranks through the corners on rails in complete confidence....no question about the line.  Over the past few days noticing an increasing oscillation when holding it in a hard lean in a fast sweeper.  Suddenly I can't confidently predict it'll hit the line and stay there....it's like it wants to stand up then lean deeper in a rapid rhythm.  Not really a headshake/slapper....the whole frame seems to be involved.

My thoughts go right to the tires....I've heard about cupping on these fronts but don't see/feel any upon inspection.  I'm actually happy with the wear (or lack of it) with these tires compared to what I've heard.  

Thoughts appreciated.

Billster  :motorsmile:

[/url]
The older I get, the better I was.

'03 B12N
'77 R100S
'78 XS650 (project underway)
'74 CL200

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Wallowing?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 10:31:15 PM »
For me, if the bike was riding fine and starts to act funny.  My first instinct is to change the tire(s) first.  Higher mileage tires also backs up that assumption as well.  One other thing that caught my attention is that you slid your tubes up 1".  To me that seems like a lot and if I slid mine up that high, I would add a steering dampner.  I don't know either way, but raising your tubes up may be part of your problem.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Wallowing?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 10:33:52 PM »
I don't get it... the bike in that picture doesn't have OEM Mac 100's.

What kind of tires are they?

If there is only one single mod I could make to my bike... it would be new tires.  Trust me.... you won't believe the difference.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Wallowing?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 10:35:52 PM »
Quote from: "PaulVS"
I don't get it... the bike in that picture doesn't have OEM Mac 100's.

What kind of tires are they?

If there is only one single mod I could make to my bike... it would be new tires.  Trust me.... you won't believe the difference.

The '03's had 90X and they look correct to me.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Wallowing?
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 10:40:22 PM »
I have an '03 and it came shod with Macadam 100's.

The 100's were supposed to be an improvement over the 90's... and my 100's sucked out loud.

So I suggest you get a good set of sport-touring tires.

Like...

Pirelli Diablo Stradas
or Metzeler Roadtec Z6's
or Shinko 009s

or if twisties are your game...

Michelin Pilot Powers
Pirelli Diablo's
Shinko Advance 005's

I only was able to put 4200 miles on my '03 before I got completely fed up with the stock Macadams.

I just got new Shinko 005's (Sport tire) and the bike is freakin' amazing now compared to before.

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
Wallowing?
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 10:58:44 PM »
Bill,

If you lift your hands off the bars on a smooth flat road do they shake?

This is what I had noticed when I went to fix my gloves one day, I replaced the Bridgestone on the front and the problem went away.

The guy at the shop said the tire was scalloped when he took it off, the definition of cupped and scalloped I have yet to figure out, but it solved the problem?

The folks at super brace claim the following:

Reduces low and high speed wobbles.

Improves stability in tight cornering.

Improves tire life and reduces cupping.

Decreases sensitivity to rough road surfaces and rain grooves.

Of course you know I went with the hole shot fork brace we will see if it reduces tire ware?
02 1200 Fighter
Do chickens fly? Yea and a Hell of a lot faster than reindeer!!!!

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Wallowing?
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 11:58:49 PM »
I agree a fork brace is probably a good investment.

But...

You're gonna need new tires soon anyway.  Try that first and then see how she runs.   :wink:

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
Wallowing?
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 12:15:15 AM »
I'm with Paul I think I would do the tire thing first!
02 1200 Fighter

Offline billster

• Board Homesteader!
Wallowing?
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 04:50:04 AM »
THanks for the input, guys.

As I said, it's been about 2 months since lowering the front 1" and it's been a great improvement without negative consequences all along....this has come on (become noticeable) in the past week.  Will probably go Metzeler and the Holeshot fork brace.  Was hoping to hold out til the Spring - $$'s tight right now.  Will go for new suspension in the Spring.

Bill  :beers:

'03 B12N
'77 R100S
'74 CL200

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
Wallowing?
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 08:13:59 AM »
Good luck Buddy and that DVD from the Kern River run went out in the mail yesterday!

02 1200 Fighter

Offline 2005B12S

• Board Homesteader!
Wallowing?
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 10:32:29 AM »
Hey Bill, I just ordered a Holeshot fork brace along with a few other goodies. They did give a slight discount on the brace- $128 vs the full $140 price. I'll post feedback and photos when I get the whole front end set up.

I would look first at tires to cure your problem. A common problem with fitting too wide a front tire on the old GS bikes was having the front end fall into corners and stand up under braking. While incorrect size is not an issue with your problem, abnormal wear patterns can cause the same thing.

As you know, my front end is dropped 1.5in, I don't believe that is the problem. The B12 is set up pretty mild as far as rake/trail, and with all the jack up kits raising the rear, instability is not a common problem.

I would not waste time or $ installing a steering dampner. Unless you spend a lot of time on the track or drag racing it is not needed. I am going with a brace, individual steel braided lines, and Race Tech springs to tighten up the front end. This should suffice for 95% of street riding.

Also, don't discount the Dunlop 208ZR tires. I ran these exclusively on my TL1000S and really liked them. They stick like glue and are about $225 for a set, not bad for full sport tires. Only drawback is you are not gonna get 5000 miles out of a rear.

Good Luck, Ed.
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
1992 900SS

"The quality of the kite matters little, sucess depends upon the man sitting in it" Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline billster

• Board Homesteader!
Wallowing?
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 04:25:11 PM »
Won't discount the Dunlops.  I'm almost certain now it's the tires after reading the feedback.  

Are you going with the Race-Tech Gold Valve setup too .. or just the springs?  You're right.  I'm not going to race the thing....just want to snug it up for pushy street riding.

Thanks
B

'03 B12N
'77 R100S
'74 CL200

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Wallowing?
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 04:36:38 PM »
Not to beat a dead horse... (much) but I found that the stock suspension became a lot more 'liveable' after I replaced the tires.

My $.02 on Dunlops... I know they are extremely popular, but I've never had or heard of a Dunlop or Bridgestone tire that had BOTH good grip & good longevity.  Always one or the other, it seems.  

S/T tires from Pirelli, Metzeler, Continental, and Shinko seem to do a great job of balancing the two qualities.

However, my practical tire experience is probably more limited than a lot of other guys here.  My opinion is largely based on doing tons of bike forum research on tires.

Offline billster

• Board Homesteader!
Wallowing?
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 04:44:51 PM »
That's the logical course, methinks.  Do the tires first and go from there.  Back in 'the day' (I'm beginning to sound like me grandpappy ferchrissakes) we used to get 10-12,000mi. out of a Conti K87/K91 combo... :duh:

'03 B12N
'77 R100S
'74 CL200

Offline 2005B12S

• Board Homesteader!
Wallowing?
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 11:33:37 PM »
Quote from: "billster"
Won't discount the Dunlops.  I'm almost certain now it's the tires after reading the feedback.  

Are you going with the Race-Tech Gold Valve setup too .. or just the springs?  You're right.  I'm not going to race the thing....just want to snug it up for pushy street riding.

Thanks
B

I am just gonna go with springs first, along with the other mods, and see how she feels. Going with the 10's, the heavest spring available for the B12. Should make a world of difference.

I like the 208's because they are reasonable in price and stick like glue. I was getting 2500 miles out of a rear on my TL1000S. No commuting, all of it was very hard riding on a bike that was very hard on rears. I was not looking for maximum mileage, only maximum grip. Plan to put 208's on my B12 in the Spring. Will keep tabs on the life they give.

I am gonna go with Pilot Powers on the 750 when I get it finished in the Spring. Should make a good comparison with the Dunlop's on the B12 as the bikes will be close on power with the 750 about 80lbs lighter.

Ride On, Ed.
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
2005 GSF1200SZ
1983 GS750ED
1992 900SS

"The quality of the kite matters little, sucess depends upon the man sitting in it" Manfred Von Richthofen