Author Topic: What tire for b12s commuting?  (Read 6172 times)

Offline smearig

• TURBO TYPER!
What tire for b12s commuting?
« on: May 27, 2006, 01:41:04 AM »
I have read a lot of the comments on tires but it seems like most of the discussion is leaning towards people wanting a lot of adhesion for sport riding.  I commute on my '03 b12s about 40 miles per day and I am looking for a rear tire to go 10k miles if possible.  I'm not worried about trying to scrape the pegs or anything like that.  The stock Macadam is pretty thrashed right now and the bike only has 4700 miles on it.   The rear is pretty much only worn chicken strip style so I guess I'm looking for a tire with a good bit of center tread.  Any ideas?
2003 Bandit 1200s
No mods except D&D can

Offline oremike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 04:47:17 AM »
the Avon ST 45/46's get great reviews from thr long distance crowd.
Mike M.
Ride the roads that make you giggle in your helmet.

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Re: What tire for b12s commuting?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 07:34:00 PM »
="smearig"]I have read a lot of the comments on tires but it seems like most of the discussion is leaning towards people wanting a lot of adhesion for sport riding.  I commute on my '03 b12s about 40 miles per day and I am looking for a rear tire to go 10k miles if possible.  I'm not worried about trying to scrape the pegs or anything like that.  The stock Macadam is pretty thrashed right now and the bike only has 4700 miles on it.   The rear is pretty much only worn chicken strip style so I guess I'm looking for a tire with a good bit of center tread.  Any ideas?
We could be workin @ the same place!!! Ok maybe not! but been there and done that! 8K miles from these! i don't think that can be beat! I got 5,6 tops out of the Bridg, Avon, Conti, Mich..   http://store.azmusa.com/shink-009.html  No bull the best all around and with a cost like this even better. Great wear,even better grip, wet or dry! I wish i owned some of the CO. :beers:  :beers:  :motorsmile:  

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 08:27:42 PM »
I like the Pilot Roads, they are great for commuting when the road's wet.  If you have a Cycle Gear store nearby, they have tire prices as good as many of the e-tailers, and mount them cheaper than a bike shop, and even offer....road hazard warranty.  Pick up a nail, and like a auto tire shop, they'll replace the tire on a pro rata basis.  I haven't had to by a tire yet since our local store opened, but they guy went through all the details with me, and I'll be giving them a spin when the time comes.  Probably by the end of June.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline smearig

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 12:04:50 AM »
Haha, so that's one vote each for the pilot roacs, avons,  and shinkos?   But I do have a cycle gear store a few miles away so I will check with them before I do anything.  But those shinkos do appeal to me for some reason, that $80 price sounds downrigh affordable.
2003 Bandit 1200s
No mods except D&D can

Offline mende21

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 01:28:05 PM »
I have a set of Shinko 009's on order from the same site Daytona mentioned.  They have the best prices that I have found.  I also commute about 55 miles a day and put 9600 miles on the original tires before I picked up a nail.  The few reviews I have read about the Shinko's are positive so I guess I'll find out for myself.  :wink:
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S, 1979 Yamaha SR500

Offline smearig

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 02:08:21 PM »
I ended up going with the michelin pilot roads because cycle gear had them in stock and would install them for free with a warranty for $155 after tax.  I could pay to get the shinko shipped here and then installed (can't find anybody who'll mount 'n' balance a rear under $30) and then it would end up costing about the same and I would have had to wait.  Maybe next time I'll give the shinkos a try though.
2003 Bandit 1200s
No mods except D&D can

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 02:36:25 PM »
I like the Pilot Roads, but why don;t you come back in a few weeks and give us your impression of them?

Offline mende21

• New user!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 03:24:22 PM »
Quote from: smearig
I ended up going with the michelin pilot roads because cycle gear had them in stock and would install them for free with a warranty for $155 after tax.  I could pay to get the shinko shipped here and then installed (can't find anybody who'll mount 'n' balance a rear under $30) and then it would end up costing about the same and I would have had to wait.  Maybe next time I'll give the shinkos a try though.

Wow, that's a great price! I would have done the same. My local dealer wanted $410 + tax to install a set of Dunlop D220's. All of their prices were twice what I found on the internet.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S, 1979 Yamaha SR500

Offline smearig

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 06:16:25 PM »
sven,

I will definitely let you know how they work, but I have already put 400 miles on them so i'll let you know right now.  They seem to have broken in well and I have tested them to within 3/8" of the edge and they seem to hold great.  I'm not sure how to describe the feeling as you lean, but it seems to be more linear than the stock tires.  But you also have to take into consideration that the stock tire was a squared of POS when I bought the bike.  It seems to be wearing great even after a 150 mile slab ride in 100 degre heat on Saturday.  I could literally see tread disappearing from the stock tire after a ride like that.
2003 Bandit 1200s
No mods except D&D can

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 06:23:31 PM »
I have the Shinko 005 sport tires... but if tread life doesn't hold up I'll probably try the 009 sport-touring version next.

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 06:50:49 PM »
Quote from: smearig
I will definitely let you know how they work, but I have already put 400 miles on them so i'll let you know right now.

400 miles is how many I got on my back tire before I picked up a screw.  I had that tire patched and put a different one on, and today I had that one taken off as worn out, and put the patched on back on.  So I am back to Pilot Roads front and rear.  New tires such a great feeling...the bike just rolls over with them and seems so much more agile.  And I'm not a knee-scraper by any means.  (Or a foot dragger.  Do the 'Busa and Gixxer riders do that in other parts of the world, or just here?)

Offline smearig

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 06:59:26 PM »
Yeah, new tires are incredible.  That's also why I'm saying that they feel good but I don't have much to compare them to except a beat up stock tire and that's probably not a fair comparo.  I want to get a new front now too, I think the dunlop sportmax on there is making the front end chase cracks on the freeway and paint lines.  I'm not a big fan of tires with grooves all the way around the circumference so maybe I'll swap that one out for a Pilot Road too.
2003 Bandit 1200s
No mods except D&D can

Offline kedeg_97B12

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 07:24:03 PM »
If you are looking for another vote for Avon ST45/46's, then count me in.
I got 8000 miles out of the back and 10,000 out of the front. That was with the torque of the 1216.  My riding buddies made fun of me because they said there was plenty of tread left but I am way conservative when it comes to tires.

And I am sure I pay way to much, but I don't like the fear of getting stuck with crappy tires. I've been down that route before with auto tires. I know these work well and I tend to stick to what makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Plus I have TWICE used the road hazard warranty from Avon.

I now return you to your regularly schedule programming. Thank you call again.

Keith
97 1216 Big Bore, Gixxer intake, with
Holeshot commemorative figurine with kung fu grip, Red
12 volt Dewalt drill, Yellow,
Moen bathroom faucets, Chrome

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 05:20:10 AM »
also if your overly concerned with the mileage you can get. Try to not blast off the line. I wear my rears out quick because of the torque in the rear on the 1200 will eat up the tire quick.