Author Topic: Which side? Low side.  (Read 5127 times)

Offline StangMATA

• Board Homesteader!
Which side? Low side.
« on: November 07, 2008, 04:59:13 PM »
Last year I had a high side, this year I had a low side.  :duh: The high side hurt me worse but the low side took out the bike.  :annoy:

It wasn't much more than a rook mistake of hitting some gravel when turning through an intersection. Hurt my pride more than anything. For as long as I've been riding though, I'll take a small stupid mistake once in a while.

As you can see in the pics, the bike took a lot of damage. The windscreen was about the only body part that didn't take a hit. Because o fthis, I'm thinking of going naked to keep costs down. I'll also salvage the tail section and buff it back to health and live with what's left.

The really crappy part is I just put it back together 3k miles ago.  :banghead: When the time comes, I'll post details of the naked conversion and will be looking for help.

Smash  :motorsmile:
Ian<br />USAF<br />2003 Silver Bandit 1200s<br />D&D slip-on. Busa Shock. Mostly Stock <br/> www.BuckNakedOffroad.com

Offline Ray Mooney

• Watch their mirrors!
  • Board Homesteader!
  • A man's got to know his limitations.
Re: Which side? Low side.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 07:17:55 PM »
Engine protectors paid for themselves, though, huh?
Ray Mooney
'07 Bandit 1250S

Previous bikes: '03 Vmax, '01 Bandit 1200, '99 Bandit 1200, '97 Vmax, '82 Yamaha Seca 650

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 09:28:14 AM »

Yeah - I was thinking the same thing!

Get her polished up.  The 2G B12 makes a great looking N bike.  Good luck!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 02:51:07 PM »
Wow! Sorry to hear you got off!  :sad:  The important part is that you're OK.

Now,.. as for the plastics and the seat.  All that's involved in fixing that is some sweat equity, and possibly a professional paint.  Depending on how picky you are.

Of course Silver is one of the hardest colors to match.  Your bike (tank aside) looks a ton better than the CBR we bought last year, and we didn't replace any of the plastic, just fixed it all and repainted.

Let's see if my gallery works today:

http://members.stormi.ca/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=projectCeber
http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=9372.0

if you want more details, post back here, I'll see what I can recall.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 02:52:42 PM by stormi »
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline StangMATA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 02:57:43 PM »

Twice actually.  :bigok:

Now,.. as for the plastics and the seat.  All that's involved in fixing that is some sweat equity, and possibly a professional paint.  Depending on how picky you are.

Of course Silver is one of the hardest colors to match.  Your bike (tank aside) looks a ton better than the CBR we bought last year, and we didn't replace any of the plastic, just fixed it all and repainted.

Careful with your wording Stormi  :trustme:

The seat is just dirty, no damage done. I wouldn't have minded cause it would have given me a good reason to upgrade. The rear plastics will get fixed with some elbow grease and the can is fine. The front fairing is broken and although fixible with some fiberglass, I'm not sure that it would be worth it. The fairing stays are also all bent and mangled and I can't look at a crooked front cowl.

So while fixing it is still a very viable option, I've always wanted a naked and this might just be the reason to do it.  :thumb:
Ian<br />USAF<br />2003 Silver Bandit 1200s<br />D&D slip-on. Busa Shock. Mostly Stock <br/> www.BuckNakedOffroad.com

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 02:29:07 PM »

+1 on that!!!
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PanamaBandit

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 05:32:06 PM »
StangMATA,

Sorry to hear about that.....been there.

If you decide to go naked, will you sell your headlight? Was it damaged?
I crashed last week and mine broke.
If so, how much would you ask for it? My zip code is 33172

Offline StangMATA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 05:37:41 PM »
It will probably be a couple of months before I dig into it. The headlight is undamaged from what I can tell before dissasembly.

When the time comes though, I will be looking to sell my headlight. Unsure of price at this time, but I will be sure to let you know.

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 07:24:36 AM »
 Smash,  :yikes: Ouch! just caught up on this thread. Hope by now your glass is 1/2 full instead of the sick feeling that comes afterward. #1 on the case gaurds! Did you get started on it yet?
   I might finally repaint my Bandit this year after the last down I had 3 yrs ago. I did some tile work for my paint guy, but just havn't got it to him to repaint. The dent in the tank is worse than yours,I'll just put a couple of bullet hloe decals in the double dent for a reminder.  Good luck

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 11:01:46 AM »
Sorry to hear about your off and good luck on your neked bike, give me a shout if you have any questions  I went through the conversion process on mine!
02 1200 Fighter
Do chickens fly? Yea and a Hell of a lot faster than reindeer!!!!

Offline StangMATA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 12:53:22 PM »
I actually haven't done anything to the bike since the wreck but replace the front signals. I recently got a Mustang and that has been taking up most of my time and money. Not to worry though, the Bandit is still getting some miles on her. IN the meantime she's just called "Frankenbike"

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 02:26:37 PM »
got caught up too...  and then sidetracked  :roll: with people getting off and something about going naked  :stickpoke:
Glad you were ok, and I think theres something to be said for frankenbike  :bigok: just cool it's still being used.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike