Author Topic: Who has done....  (Read 3161 times)

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
Who has done....
« on: July 02, 2005, 09:54:47 AM »
a grease nipple install on the rear shock linkage on a G2 B12 ?? I noticed that NO late model bikes from any maker seem to have lube points ANYWHERE on the suspension. When I get my B12....finally.....this is one of the first mods I'll be making.....unless someone out there has a better idea ???
Why do automotive/bike companies cheat us on stupid little things like this ??
This kind of stuff makes me really angry !!! Grrrrrrr......
Of course I'm prone to keeping vehicles and bikes a LOT longer than the manufacturers would like.....  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
grease
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 03:21:51 PM »
Its funny you mention that, all Japanese off road bikes don't have nipples and they're the ones that need it.  I imagine its a cost saving thing, it would be just one more thing to do at mfg time and would add time and money to the assembly line.  The upper end Euro off road bikes have them but of course you're spending $2-3K more.  I don't know how much a street bike would need this unless you do a lot of rain riding or use a pressure washer on your bike (which is not a good idea).  I always had good luck on my dirt bikes' linkage packing them good with waterproof marine grease.  I would get over a year riding before it needed attention.

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
Who has done....
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 10:43:34 AM »
Tacoman:
Well, living on the "wet coast" like you do, you'd know all about rain riding. Here in (more or less) Sunny Alberta, we have to deal with flying grit more than water (except for the monsoon month of June). I never/never/never wash my bikes with a pressure washer.....only with a garden hose, and very carefully at that.
Having said all that, it just makes a whole lot of sense to me to be able to lube the suspension points AT LEAST once a year. Modern bikes impose a whole lot more force on suspension components generally than the old pounders I normally ride so it only makes sense that modern suspensions would need more attention, even ignoring the facts of better design and better materials. A good shot of EP grease in the right places every second month or so couldn't hurt....right??
What kind of marine grease were you using ?? Mineral oil based or synthetic ?? A buddy of mine disassembles and hand greases all his rear suspension points with Amsoil synthetic grease every spring.....which is a big/tedious job. A couple of grease nipples in the right places would turn the "job" into a 5 minute bit of fun. Why, a guy could even do it once a month if he wanted to.:lol: :lol: :lol:
Of course, maybe that's why he no longer has a wife, too.... :shock:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
tacoman
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 04:38:51 PM »
Japanese mfgs are notorious for going "easy on the grease."  You usually get a light smearing of lithium grease which is easily washed away.  If you plan on keeping your bike for the long term and you ride in gritty areas, a tear down with a good greasing would be a good idea.  If you're handy with a drill and tap, I'd put on the zerks at that time.  In my dirt bikes I just used the regular auto parts store marine grease for boat trailer bearings (its aqua in color).