Author Topic: Barber Motorsports Park/Barber Museum  (Read 3139 times)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Barber Motorsports Park/Barber Museum
« on: April 25, 2005, 09:04:39 AM »
Just got back from Barber for the AMA races.

We camped inside the park.  
  The tent camping areas are ''OK".   Bathroom facilities consist of  portapotties at the campground, and some OK showers in the Paddock.
  During the AMA races, they ran shuttle trams around the park so you could get anywhere you wanted, without a lot of hoofing.   You still needed to hoof into the paddock fromt he perimeter road.

If you're looking for an excuse to visit the SUPERB museum, a bike camping trip to one of the WERA races would be the ticket!
  The park would be less crowded, there'd probably be less security and control, so you could bike to more parts of the track.
   The museum is well worth a visit on it's own.   By the 3 day pass, and spend the morning there,  (While the racers are doing practice laps), and return to the track to watch the afternoon races.

There are scads of gleaming, pristine, bikes to drool over.  Every type.....every model.......just downright lovely!
   Thanks, Mr. Barber! :beers:

(My desire to own a bright red Italian bike was re-kindled after leaving the museum.......) :bigok:

http://www.barbermotorsports.com
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline rasrave

• New user!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 08:40:57 PM »
Well, I just got back (about 2 hours ago) from the AMA weekend in Birmingham :grin:
Rode the Bandit (1200s/1997) all the way from Biloxi Ms and back, first decent roadtrip for a while...I WILL be doing it again soon!!
Weekend was excellent, great weather Sunday, rained/hailed on saturday, but never got wet whilst riding there or back :banana:
Great vibe, took tons of pics, only gripe is that I wish there were more vendors as I was prepared to buy a fuzzbuster and some pipes...
Ride was great, I CANNOT stress how glad I am with the bike, purred like a kitten all the way there and back <smiles>
Rode my friend's bike for a bit (Honda CBX 1100xx), nice, but still prefer the Bandit for the "flickability" and comfort!
I would love to have some opinions about pipes, especially the Holeshot and Yoshimuras!!
Chris
(still grinning like an idiot)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 11:40:09 PM »
I assume you rode a CBR1100XX, aka Blackbird, and not the older, but iconic CBX of the late 70's and early 80's.  :wink:

CBX

CBX SuperSport

Both the Holeshot and Yoshimura slip-ons (and full systems) are good. I'd choose the one you like the looks of best.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline rasrave

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 02:35:38 PM »
LOL, yes, a Honda CBR 1100XX it was indeed :duh:
(I blame it on the long day!)
Nice bike, fast, comfortable...but not like the Bandit!!

Offline SV Larry

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 09:17:47 PM »
Here,here Pete.I haven't tired of the museum yet.You are correct about the WERA races.They are totally diferent.Almost no security.and you can actually park in the paddock area.Crowds are much thinner but no trams so be prepared to ride or walk.As for the vendor this year.All those little kiosks tent were new this time.Previous years the vendors were also along the entry road at the top of the hill and all the way down to the first parking area.I guess they were trying to keep them concentrated this time around.