Author Topic: Baseball and Bikes - What a Combo!!!  (Read 6616 times)

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
Baseball and Bikes - What a Combo!!!
« on: April 13, 2006, 06:51:50 AM »
I'm a baseball nut and have the summers off...been planning a trip this summer to follow the Blue Jays around to a lot of famed ball parks I've never seen.  I wanted to do an east-west trip but seems I'll go see some games in New York , then up to Minnesota and then down to Tampa Bay, so it'll end up being more north south.  

Kinda cool as they play three or four games in a set, so I could catch the first two and then zip out ahead of them so we arrive at the next destination on the same day.

Anybody else ever follow their ball teams around?

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 04:32:13 PM »
It is my retirement dream to visit all the National league ballparks. I've been to all the parks in the midwest, Florida and I even saw Pac Bell park in San Francisco but the season hadn't opened yet.

My Wife and I are huge Cub fans. You have to go to Wrigley Field. It is the Cathedral of baseball. The fans are easy going if you don't sit in the bleachers.  :beers:

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 07:54:54 PM »
I've already looked into seeing the cubbies at wrigley.  i gotta do it before i die (hopefully i have a few years yet!)  But when I head down from minnesota to tampa, the cubbies are on the road and so are the reds.  bummer city!

I'll never ever forget warren cromartie making a catch in the outfield at wrigley in the ivy but the umpire ruling the batter was safe.  the ball was kinda stuck up in the green stuff but io swear he made the catch.  the expos lost the game because of that and maybe the nl east championship back in the late 70's early 80's.

i always feel stepped on cuz the expos lost out in the '94 season but that couldn't hold a candle to how you must feel with those baby bears.

:clubme:

jim

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 08:20:05 PM »
The new Red's stadium is really nice. Great American Ball Park I think it's called.  Have fun on your trip. FWIW, I saw a ballgame at the stadium where the Revil Rays playin Tampa. I can't remember the name of the park but It was a poor venue. They were giving the tickets away though and you could buy a cheap seat and move down to the field level boxes.

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 03:26:53 PM »
I've heard it's like a mausoleum inside so on a nice day (every day) nobody wants to be in there.

Tampa always plays the jays like they're the '27 yankees.  wonder why some crappy teams play really well against certain adversaries.  You could do a whole thesis on that!

Jim

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 06:36:38 PM »
We have what is frequently called the finest minor league park in America, so if you decide to come down this way, I'll treat ya to a Redbirds game at AutoZone Park.  But...the 'Birds have been more Dead than Red, so we may have to cheer for the opposing team!
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 10:35:04 PM »
Are they a farm team for the Cinci Reds?  Never heard of 'em!

Jim

PS  -  Thanks for the offer! :grin:

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 01:24:30 AM »
AAA affiliate of the Cards!

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 07:06:33 AM »
The Cards really are an amazing story.  I rode through St. Louis for the first time last summer on a long trip.  I always thought it would be a huge city, mainly because the cards are a big market team with a big salary.  not so - st. louis itself is pretty tiny.  the fan base, i think, goes on forever in many surrounding states, even the whole country!

PS - I rode on that Mark McGuire Boulevard, or Street - Are they going to ditch that name now?  How about Steroid Avenue instead?  What a scumbag!

Jim

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 10:57:40 AM »
I totally do not get why Congress weighs in on steroid use.  Steroids are legal when prescribed by a doctor...I just took a course of them for a terrible allergy season here.  I totally despise the way our elected officials dick around with stuff that has nothing to do with running the country.

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 10:00:09 PM »
Don't you agree that steroids has tainted baseball forever?  What about those hr records?  Are they legit?  How many were hit on steroids?  When did the guy start taking them?  It's too stupid to even consider...and then mcguire gets up there and cries like a baby!  The guy that came off the best was canseco - a scroundrel if ever there was one!

Jim

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 11:41:04 PM »
Whether steriods have changed baseball or any sport (and remember, sport is a form of entertainment) is still not the sort of thing the nation's highest elected leaders (other than the Prez) should be spending tax dollars on.

I also don't understand why the 2006 FCC is worried about payola (pay for play of specific songs).  Why do they care?  They don't care if a satellite radio station (like XM or Sirius) takes pay for play.

More smoke and mirrors to disguise the continued ineffectiveness of the government.  Look, taxpayers!  Over there!  Something shiny!  Shiny...

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 07:06:03 AM »
Theft is wrong, says our government, and any government, right?

Yet for years the Canadian Anik satellite stole American TV stations out of detroit and then they were broadcast all over canada.  You had to pay to get them and yet the american 'big three' TV networks were never paid.  And the government said this was all fine and endorsed it.

Strange.

And another thing.......

I just spent a night in one of the richest cities in the world - Toronto - and woke up early so took a walk.  What do I see everywhere?  Homeless people!  And it was about plus 1 C that morning so these poor buggers were freezing, lying there on a grate with just a blanket covering them.

We're the most heavily taxed nation in the world and we have people sleeping on the streets in the winter-time?  I don't get it.  Where does all that tax money go?  For some politician's third vehicle?

And you can't just say that those people should get jobs.  Most of them were unceremoniously dumped out of a mental institute in downtown Toronto a few years ago.  One minute they were deemed 'not able to take care of themselves', the next, after budget cuts, they were out on the streets of Toronto fending for themselves.

What kind of system is that?

Jim

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 10:02:53 AM »
Just step over the homeless man on your way into the shiny new Starbucks for your $5 cuppa joe.  Notice the shiny new brushed steel counter...shiny...shiny....

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 01:12:24 PM »
Quote from: "jbrough7"
And another thing.......

I just spent a night in one of the richest cities in the world - Toronto - and woke up early so took a walk.  What do I see everywhere?  Homeless people!  And it was about plus 1 C that morning so these poor buggers were freezing, lying there on a grate with just a blanket covering them.

We're the most heavily taxed nation in the world and we have people sleeping on the streets in the winter-time?  I don't get it.  Where does all that tax money go?  For some politician's third vehicle?

And you can't just say that those people should get jobs.  Most of them were unceremoniously dumped out of a mental institute in downtown Toronto a few years ago.  One minute they were deemed 'not able to take care of themselves', the next, after budget cuts, they were out on the streets of Toronto fending for themselves.

What kind of system is that?

Jim

Why do you think the politicians have those big gates closed that lead down the drive (long/with surveillance).. To their modest estates that those tax $$ pay4????????????    :duh:  :beers: