Author Topic: Fall ride in Arkansas  (Read 32399 times)

Offline gtbandit

• Board Homesteader!
Fall ride in Arkansas
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2005, 01:16:42 AM »
Quote from: "solman"
I was hoping to meet up with you all, but I am stuck here in San Antonio for the next month.
:sad:
Sorry to hear that solman. I was looking forward to meeting you.

Pete?....Lloyd? How's it looking for y'all?
Craig
'99 Black B12
'03 KLR650
'03 1000 V-Strom
'05 SV650
+ a few others

Offline Dragbike

• Board Homesteader!
Fall ride in Arkansas
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2005, 03:55:59 AM »
Hey Craig, the time you have put in for the routes looks very good and will be injoyed by all.
I would like to meet Pete he seems like a funny guy!
 Hey does anyone use any of the FRS radios?
I do not have a helmet setup but was wandering if they are any use? As luck would be some of my old Harley friends called me up last week and want to go on a ride to AR! Well where do you want to go? They said over to Ozark up 23 to 16 then to Fayetteville and back home. Guess I am going to get to test out my new bags a few days before hand.
See Ya
Brent
01 Bandit 1200S
99 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide
89 GSXR 7/11 w/turbo
88 GSX600F Katana w/1127 :)
82 Harley FLT
79 Harley Super Glide FXEF
I’m getting Old--- I remember when Sex was safe and Motorcycles were dangerous!

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Fall ride in Arkansas
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2005, 09:29:50 AM »
Craig,last I heard from Lloyd, he can't make it.
  I'm about 60% sure I can make it right now.  I should know by Monday.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Fall ride in Arkansas
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2005, 09:55:17 AM »
I plan on bringing a set of FRS radios.  They would be handheld only but might come in handy on the trip up.  I always hate stopping and not being able to tell my riding buddy why - forcing them to turn around.  Sometimes you see a photo-op that just can't be passed.   :beers:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline buggyho

• TURBO TYPER!
Fall ride in Arkansas
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2005, 04:02:49 PM »
Collette and I will have Bike to bike coms. Gmrs and Frs. We usually hang on the gmrs channel. More power.
Good friends, good times

Offline gtbandit

• Board Homesteader!
Fall ride in Arkansas
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2005, 04:55:12 AM »
I will be bringing some FRS/GMRS handheld radios too. I bought them to use bike to bike, but never got around to getting the rest of the set up. Anyway, I figure we could use them if one of the groups got split up. There are certain roads (123, 125, 341) that it is better to let everyone ride at his pace and meet up at a pre-designated meeting point. If the lead rider and sweep rider each had radios, we could at least radio before turning around. On most of the rest of the roads, each rider will be responsible for watching for the person riding immediately behind him. That way, if one persons stops, the whole group stops one by one. In that instance, the radios will still come in handy, because their still could be a good bit of seperation.
Craig
'99 Black B12
'03 KLR650
'03 1000 V-Strom
'05 SV650
+ a few others

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Fall ride in Arkansas
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2005, 09:33:18 AM »
I think I'm going to have to pass on this one.... :crybaby:
 I have the finances for 'one more' trip this year, and it will have to be north, to work in a visit with my Dad.   I'm also saving up my alcohol and cigar money for WERA GNF. :motorsmile:
  Have fun, be careful, and get your butts back home!
  Take pictures!
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Fall ride in Arkansas
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2005, 10:19:59 AM »
Me and a buddy are heading over that way for a few days, beginning on Sunday (the 25th).  Look for us...I'll be in the teal Bandit with SCHEER on the tag, and he'll be on a frog green Kawa ZRX1100.

I would say "wave if you see us" but that might not work so well...
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline gtbandit

• Board Homesteader!
Fall ride in Arkansas
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2005, 08:00:08 PM »
Sorry to hear you can't make it Pete. Hopefully, I'll see you next year, if I can still afford the gas.  :rant2:

Sven, where will you be staying? I'll be riding around northern Arkansas through Monday or Tuesday.

I plan on leaving out in the morning.
Craig
'99 Black B12
'03 KLR650
'03 1000 V-Strom
'05 SV650
+ a few others

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Fall ride in Arkansas
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2005, 01:45:21 AM »
have a safe trip Craig, will see you there Thursday
John L

1998 Red Suzuki GSF-1200S
1998 Red & Cream Moto Guzzi V11 EV
2001 Greenie Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Offline gtbandit

• Board Homesteader!
Fall ride in Arkansas
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2005, 02:09:47 AM »
Here is the update list of attendees:

bad4u2000us.....Redfield, AR
tsetse....Mark....Kansas City, KS
Flingit....Wichita, KS
Jacinda.....Paducah, KY
DevilMan....Tim....Paducah, KY
bandit1....Tony.....Lincoln, AR
terrebandit.....Dave.....NE Texas
Collette Lemons.....Glenpool, OK
buggyho.....Cliff....Glenpool, OK
LowRyter.....John.....Edmond, OK
12sdrag.....Maryland
gtbandit....Craig....Beaumont, Texas
txbanditrydr....Jay....NE Texas
Dragbike....Brent Ballew.... Brent@dragbike.com ...Tahlequah, OK
Roy....FJR1300....Glenpool, OK....+ spouse
wtnbandit.....NW TN

I plan on camping on top of Magazine Mountain the first night, then wind my way indirectly towards Bull Shoals. See y'all there!
Craig
'99 Black B12
'03 KLR650
'03 1000 V-Strom
'05 SV650
+ a few others

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Fall ride in Arkansas
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2005, 08:08:26 PM »
What happened?  did anyone go?
  I know a lot of the TX crew is in the storm area....
  Good luck!
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Fall ride in Arkansas
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2005, 08:31:26 PM »
I just got back.  I left early to beat the rain.  Big event, only one cancellation and two or three "walk-ins" that didn't post.

If you don't know. Craig is a fireman from Beaumont TX.  He's trying to get his wife up to the Pine Lodge.  She and Craig's in-laws were playing hop scotch trying to catch up with him. I am sure that everyone wishes Craig the best & hope his house and belongings are OK.  Craig is in touch with his department and his family, and still organizing the ride.

Took some excellent roads yesterday for about 300 miles.  Hwy 123 as usual but also Hwy341 for the first time.  Really great sweepers, perhaps my favorite road yet.

No accidents in our group (so far, knock wood).  But did see one pretty bad one.  Ionically there was a group of four GSX-1100G shafties (they look lilke Bandits with shaft drives from early 90s). One of the younger riders lost it on 123, went in the ditch & hit some rocks.  His knees had bad road rash, and he apreared to be in shock.  The front end, bars & cock pit were pretty mangled.  Was suprising the rider wasn't more serious.

Accomodations were OK.  A bargain for the cost but no service while you're there.  Most rooms had kitchenettes & fridges.  Mine was $45 a nite.  We got tub full of beer and sat under a covered pavillion.  Had cigars the first night.  Was up till 2 last nite.  I think Devilman was up till 3.

Next time I want to stay longer and take the ferry over the lake. I think I missed that today by leaving. The main group was riding from there to Missouri.  Hopefullly the rain will miss them.  

That's the run down.

John
John L

1998 Red Suzuki GSF-1200S
1998 Red & Cream Moto Guzzi V11 EV
2001 Greenie Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Fall ride in Arkansas
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2005, 10:04:12 PM »
+1 on LowRyter's report..... Terrebandit & I considered canceling all together but figured we could meet and greet and get some good riding in before the storm hit.  We left Tyler at 7am Thursday and arrived Bull Shoals at 7pm after 450 miles of back roads.  Our original plan was altered due to the evacuee traffic up 59 into Texarkana.  The only real snag was construction on 27 that left us sitting on the road for 1/2 hour... stuck in 100 degree heat and no way to really get comfortable.  

Meeting everyone that night over some beers was very cool... finally got to put some faces with the screen names here.  Also, seeing 15 or so Bandits at once was something else especially how unique the machines were.  The lodge manager took several group photos the next morning before our ride and those should be posted in the future.

After breakfast Friday morning we split up into groups and headed out to some of the sweetest roads I have been on.  You are almost thankful for a straight stretch of road to get prepared for the next set of twisties.  We rode about 150 miles with the group before stopping to eat lunch but Dave & I said our goodbyes and headed off to beat the storm.  Our ride home included Scenic 7 which was another 4 hours or so of twists and turns before slabbing it back to Texas.  Arrived safely about 10pm after 525 miles for the day.

I gotta tell ya... the SuzukiFieldshearSidiLoobmanShoeiAvonRentecMobiloneBandit machine was just awesome out there... I couldn't have done without 'em!!   :beers:

A huge  :thanks:  goes out to gtbandit for organizing this thing and best wishes to him and his family since Rita made a near direct hit in his home town.  Our part of East Texas had some rain and a lot of wind but we are much better off than those further east.

I enjoyed meeting those that showed and this ride is a must do in the future!!   :banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Fall ride in Arkansas
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2005, 10:24:44 PM »
Great report, fellas!  Sounds like a fun trip.  

Best wishes to Craig and his family.

:toofunny:
Quote from: "txbanditrydr"

I gotta tell ya... the SuzukiFieldshearSidiLoobmanShoeiAvonRentecMobiloneBandit machine was just awesome out there... I couldn't have done without 'em!!   :beers:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7