Author Topic: First time Road Trip - Tips/Advice/Plannin  (Read 4669 times)

Offline p_gauthi

• TURBO TYPER!
First time Road Trip - Tips/Advice/Plannin
« on: August 01, 2007, 06:28:15 PM »
So,
I'm looking to go on my first road trip.

I find myself having no idea what amount of riding time/mileage is reasonable per day, what type of things to bring along for maintenance, what to expect to come across and how to plan properly.

Also, part of this will have to be route selection.

I'm planning on heading out of Montreal and to Chicago and back in 12 days.

I would appreciate any help from some more of the experienced riders out there.

Thanks,!
P
'01 Bandit 600 - Royal Blue

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 06:57:56 PM »
So much depends on what you expect.

For example, my road trips average around 50 MPH because I am usually taking an interesting, but longer and slower route than I might take in the car.  But I ride long days, so 400+ miles/day are not unusual for me.

ANother variable:  What do you want to wear.  When I go on a road trip, I generally take clean socks/underwear/shirt for each day, and plan on wearing jeans a couple times each and the same shoes every day.  Nothing would keep you from finding a laundromat every third night.  But do you need nicer clothes to go to an event or meet with friends?

As for maintenance stuff, I don't carry much more than a tool kit, a tire plug kit, and chain lube and a rag.  I carry a rain suit for me, but I figure anything more involved than what I carry is why I have a cell phone and roadside assistance.

Does any of this line up with your expectations?
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline p_gauthi

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 09:53:46 AM »
Thanks!

I'm envisioning taking my time to get out there, going the interesting routes, because, otherwise, I may as well be driving a van or something ...

Could do with the least amount of clothing acceptable to make such a ride, and like you've mentioned, cleaning them accordingly along the way... so as not to be immediately banished by the locals.

Thing is, I've got one GIVI topcase, which is pretty large, but i'm thinking i'll need extra space. So, there comes the consideration of making a purchase to accommodate this trip.

Are there any things that should be checked or done, maintenance-wise, to the bike before heading out for the long-haul??

Offline speedytriple

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 12:03:07 PM »
well i have taken some long road trips before, just this may we did 2700 miles in 5 days. if you are not use to doing long days then dont. let you body determine how many miles is enough. i can do 600 to 800 the first day then 300-400 a day after that. i always check the following thing before i leave. tires at least 80% plus on life left. fresh oil and new filter. check the brake pads and rotors. good clean of the chain and lube it, check for life left in it. and clean my air filter.  i also always bring along extra bulbs for tail and head lights. never know when one is gonna burn out, would suck to have to ride in the dark at night. rain suit, extra gloves. plug kit, air pump takes awhile but works. maps, and points of interest. and my phone. i pack light as i can to still have what i need. have fun and enjoy your ride.
Mike
Berea, Ohio
2000 speed triple
2002 VW gti 1.8t

Offline p_gauthi

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 01:25:22 PM »
following up on the long ride,

Do you use a make shift cruise control, throttle lock, or wrist rest on the throttle to make it a bit less uncomfortable during the long rides?

Any comments/Suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 03:07:55 PM »
If you're taking an interesting route, a throttle lock won't do you much good. I live with my wrist rest (old-style Throttle Rocker) all the time and love it! :thumb:
Not everyone feels that way about 'em though.

Since I ride long trips in leather m/c pants and boots, I just carry a single pair of jeans (and a pair of shorts in summer) along with a pair of shoes that pack well, like old 'familiar' tennies.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 03:53:26 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
If you're taking an interesting route, a throttle lock won't do you much good. I live with my wrist rest (old-style Throttle Rocker) all the time and love it!

I find that I don't get much use from the Throttle Rocker unless I am doing a lot of developed highway (four-lane) or freeway riding.  If you are one a narrower road, or curvy road, or dealing with traffic, you have to regulate your speed too much to use it.  (However, it is easy to take it off and put it on as needed, but you have to stop to do it.)

If you are not used to using it, and especially as a new rider, be very careful.  It is easy to press agianst it by accident and go too fast, especially while turning.  (Based on my experiences.)  Also, if it is not put on too tight, it can slip and you can go too fast.

I am not recommending against the Throttle Rocker, I have one and use it, but you have to use it with care because it is a *lever* rather than a mechaninal "cruice control" device.

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 03:55:01 PM »
along with a pair of shoes that pack well, like old 'familiar' tennies.

Yes! Having a pair of comfortable shoes to wear in the evning or around the motel is more important that that it seems.  If you don't have some small, soft-sole shoes that you can fold or roll-up, go get some!  Or even some of those fugly Crocs!

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 03:59:26 PM »
Quote from: "p_gauthi"
Thing is, I've got one GIVI topcase, which is pretty large, but i'm thinking i'll need extra space. So, there comes the consideration of making a purchase to accommodate this trip.

You may want to get some inexpensive saddlebags to use, until you find ou tif you really like long-riding.

I guess you already have a nice roomy tankbag.If not, the lagrest magentic one from RoadGear is my recommendation...keep anything valuable in it (camera, etc.) as well as anything you might need duirng the day (ibuprofen!), and carry it with you if you go inside any place you can't see the bike.  Bikers seem to be very trustworthy people, but other people may not be so honest.

Mike/Speedy's pre-flight checklist was good, so nothing to add there.

Offline p_gauthi

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 04:22:15 PM »
THanks for reading my mind on the tankbag suggestion.
THat was one question floating around in my head.

...and loathing online retailer research, i'll launch this one into the ether...:

Is there a preferred place to purchase a tank bag online, for not too much dough?

I've seen newenough.com, and i know of some others, but it seems prices can fluctuate from site to site and product to product....

Help, is always appreciated. Just can't wait till I can give something back...newbie as I am...

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 05:10:10 PM »
When shopping online, it's good to deal with outfits others have have good luck with. Things like reliability, speedy shipping, great customer experience, that sort of thing. That said, I cannot praise New Enough enough. Those folks have always been great to me. MotoSport.com has also been top notch.

Dennis Kirk also has great service, but the prices aren't always the best. (I buy my tires thru them because they'll beat the lowest advertised price I can find by $1 and they've always had the tires I wanted in stock, whereas the cheaper places didn't always have what I wanted in stock.)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 05:38:05 PM »
When shopping online, it's good to deal with outfits others have have good luck with....New Enough...have always been great to me.

I've had a couple experiences with New Enough; both were normal online purchases and therefore satisfactory.

Aerostitch sells everything under the sun, but it's all at full price.

All my luggage (even my briefcase for daily commuting) is RoadGear.  They are a good small company that ship very quickly and will help in any was possilbe.  There stuff is very well made.  But they aren't giving it away.

Is there a Cycle Gear=type store near you? (C.G. is only in the US.)  You may also be able to find an inexpensive, if not great, tankbag at a MC dealership. Most of them stock expensive stuff, but some will carry cheap stuff to cater to those who can't spend as much.

I know what you mean about being a newbie and having more questions than answers.  At B.A., I am more of a color commentator than an expert since I'm only in my 5th year of riding, but I have done some long rides, and just his 35,000 on elbandido last Monday, so this is a subject I can speak to.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 08:57:21 PM »
Travelling by myself, when I stop less, I find i can go 500 miles (800 km) as a realistic pace, BUT, on our last multi-day rides with a mixed group of guys, more gas stops, more coffee stops, etc, 350-400 miles (550-650km) is as long as you can count on, maybe less. This assumes aggressive, twisty roads, approx 10-11+ hours/day, leaving time to find a hotel and supper. We had discussion about averaging UNDER 550/600 km/day next year, as the bulk of the guys wanted more down time.

what amount of riding time/mileage is reasonable per day
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline p_gauthi

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 03:11:29 PM »
Quote from: "Sven"

Is there a Cycle Gear=type store near you? (C.G. is only in the US.)  You may also be able to find an inexpensive, if not great, tankbag at a MC dealership.

Unfortunately, it seems like in Quebec, at least in my immediate area, there aren't too many choices. We have one MC shop that I'm aware of, which has the largest stock but of course, high prices. Add in our 15% sales tax [think free healthcare] and you've got yourself a poor deal. Problem with many on-line places is shipping across the border, which they either don't offer, takes too long, or charge customs fees.

I think for my purchases, I'll have to take the overnighter to Plattsburgh or Burlington; cheaper sales tax, and most likely more choice.

Offline p_gauthi

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 03:15:31 PM »
Do you find it easy to find places to stay [outdoors, camping, backyards?] when travelling by yourself? Is stopping at national/state parks for camping part of the plan or do you just give yourself a general area of interest and then find a place to set up once there??