Author Topic: race/track day  (Read 10817 times)

Offline sandy klock

• Board Homesteader!
race/track day
« on: February 23, 2012, 04:57:57 PM »
 greetings banditalley; Dan, Paul and others. Im getting gsf1216 ready to do track days. will switch between drags and road course@ grattan.  but just for my own education.  not sure how much fun I can afford.  checked with insurance just for kicks.  He said I am covered on tracks.  Wow  good news.  Anywho wondering how many on alley are getting ready for same?  never posted a poll b4.  help me if I did it incorrectly.    Sandy
Fast? yes I'm fast, like a tortoise

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Re: race/track day
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 01:28:24 AM »
want to vote "No, can't afford/don't have time/have kids/other lame reasons here"...

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:11:36 PM »
Yep love it, but never with the bandit lol, don't think i want to haul the beast around. Someday might take it for a couple laps when I get my steering damper mounted just for kicks on a private rental day.
Went to trackschool on an old EX500... bought an older R6, raced it one year, currently pregnant and expecting our first but depending how soon I get myself beat back in to shape I'm hoping to make the later half of our race season.
Not everyone is going to get as addicted as myself but I have never spoken to a street rider that didn't enjoy a trackschool or a trackday. Its just a totally different and educational environment.
Most fun I've ever had with my clothes on that's for sure. Also interesting what you learn about bikes when you get to push them a little bit.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline sandy klock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:21:21 PM »
I ck'd on track day at grattan its $170 per day this yr. wow.  well strip went up alittle also but still a deal at $30 for a test/tune  guess I will try that first.  Mademirriam that is a sweet ride you have.  do you do your own wrenching?  congrats on the addition.   sandy

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 08:30:01 AM »
The strip is certainly cheaper! I'm hoping to do a couple drags this summer to get my starts to improve and since it's shorter duration and no cornering I won't need as many muscles  :yikes:. Looking forward to it, lol it will be a first for me, and since I have nowhere to practice launches it will all be either a wheelie or a bog (if experience is any judge). Any advice from anyone who's dragged before?

I USED to do all my own wrenching, the bandit V1.0 when I bought it as an insurance write off was all me... now often I just hold the light. Not sure what version of Bandit we are on now, but it's currently almost through an SV tail swap. I still do the 'simple' things but let him handle the welding and general fab work. Once the SV tail swap is done and probably pods mounted etc. I'll take pics and put a thread up. It's not really so much 'my' bike anymore as it is now 'our' bike. We both get input in mods, and both take it for rides.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 07:32:04 AM »
 The first track day of the year with Moto Series will be next Sat. at PIR (Beaver Run). I'm going as staff,so it will only cost me my gas(and a room if my wife comes along) I'll help with registration & tech, and will be one of the instructors with the instructional group. It makes it affordable for me and its a lot of fun.
  Maidmarium,  :congrats: on the new addition to your family!
 Did the Busa front end help out the Bandit performance wise?Any weight savings? Surely better suspension, I have  Race Tech gold valves and springs in the oem,but it still revolts when trail braking.
   Dan

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 05:31:37 PM »
have fun at the track next weekend, hope you get some decent weather. The yearly pre season test and tune was at the track this past weekend. Took a trip out to see everyone, sure miss being on a bike, but at least made sure the little one was used to bike noise  :grin: 11 days old and perfect track baby already, we had to dodge some of the noisy bikes as her ear protection hasn't come in yet... I just can't wait to get in to shape to go back out there.
The busa front end... I'm not so sure it actually improved things, we're still playing around with the rear links, trying different lengths to see what it does. The dramatically shorter forks (I also have a busa shock) drastically reduces rake which makes it feel much less 'stable' and yet somehow not as flickable as you might think. I think we're close as far as a ride height we like now, will do a fork oil change and start playing with some setup soon to see what we can do. I'll let you know if we hit on a sweet spot or some kind of an epiphany.
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 01:50:15 AM »
at least made sure the little one was used to bike noise  :grin: 11 days old and perfect track baby already, we had to dodge some of the noisy bikes as her ear protection hasn't come in yet... I just can't wait to get in to shape to go back out there.

What what?  I missed this... Congratulations are certainly in order!! :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

I'll send my condolences when she reaches Tween and teens too. :)

They say a body takes 9 months to have the baby, and 9 months to recover from it. Don't push too hard, but don't slouch over it either, and you'll b e back at it in no time.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline sandy klock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »
Congratulations :congrats: was wondering? Great news is always exciting.    :clap: :clap: :clap: a new mini bike rrrr.  is welcomed to forum.