Author Topic: Imagine My Surprise.....  (Read 2581 times)

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
Imagine My Surprise.....
« on: July 12, 2007, 11:54:20 AM »
Last night was our annual Stampede BBQ over at Big Al's garage. The usual cast of suspects rode over with about 20 in all making their appearance over the course of the evening.
I flipped burgers for Al (one handed, of course) and was having a great time. About an hour after the whole thing got underway, I hear this familiar sound and look down the alley to see.....wait for it.....Bandit Bruce on his '04 B12S riding up and asking if there's free food around here. Well, you coulda knocked me over with a feather. He rode all the way from Leduc (~3 hours one way) just so he could surprise the heck out of everyone at the BBQ. Sure surprised me !!!
So we got his bike stashed in my garage (~2 blocks away from Al's) and then came back and proceeded to have a few beers and enjoy the heck out of a beautiful evening with all our buds.
Unfortunately 06 Greyhound couldn't make it due to other committments. We missed ya, Tony. You would have had a heckuva time.
A sometime riding buddy named Bill showed up on his new URAL outfit. Yes, a brand new URAL with the powered hack hooked up to it. This was the civilian version in a semi-hideous gloss medium green....without the machine gun mounts, unfortunately. :lol:
We finally shut everything down at midnight and Bruce and I wandered home to sit for another beer or so in my garage and just BS about bikes and trips.
A thoroughly enjoyable evening......and I forgot to take my camera. :duh:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Re: Imagine My Surprise.....
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 06:48:19 PM »
Quote from: "H2RICK"
A thoroughly enjoyable evening......and I forgot to take my camera.

And I was looking forward to pix!  Sounds like you're healing up, good luck with that.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
Imagine My Surprise.....
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 12:27:14 AM »
Yep, another missed opportunity to record bench-racing for posterity. :lol:
Thanks for the encouragement with the healing thing, Sven.
I had my second session with the physio guy this aft and he's pronounced me well on the road to recovery......and gave me 5 new exercises to do to help things along. He says the Aug. 10 ride of Big Al's is pretty much out of the question but figures the Labour Day weekend ride MAY be doable.
Well, we'll see....

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Imagine My Surprise.....
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 09:55:53 AM »
Quote from: "H2RICK"
...and gave me 5 new exercises to do to help things along.

After some issues with lower back, tendonitus, and broken left thumb, I can say *you must do the exercises*!  They ill make all the difference not only in how quickly you heal, but how well you are long-term.  It's hard to push yourself, either you get too busy or they hurt, but ya gotta!
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
Imagine My Surprise.....
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 11:10:39 AM »
Totally agree, Sven. I have a short warmup exercise thing I do first thing EVERY morning and the physio guy's exercises are now added in. Believe me, no one wants to get back in the saddle sooner than I do, right now, but like the physio guy said....don't overdo it. Hopefully all will be semi-normal, at least, by the middle/end of August. If not, it won't be for lack of effort on my part. :grin:

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Imagine My Surprise.....
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 12:57:49 PM »
Rick, I feel your pain. I just got over back-to-back rotator cuff surgeries, and I've only been back in the saddle for just over a month. But 4 months of no riding with a brand-new bike sitting in my shop was pure torture!  :sad:

I wish you a speedy and pain-free recovery. Don't worry, you'll be making up for lost time once you start riding again, and it'll feel great... like being re-born!  :bigok:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
Imagine My Surprise.....
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 12:03:26 PM »
Sorry, zen, but I'd forgotten all about your surgeries. My shoulder looks like pretty simple stuff compared to what you've gone through.....
AND what you suffered every time you walked in your garage and looked at the new 1250 while you were healing. Now THAT'S torture.  :sad:  :wink:
However, as you say, hopefully I'll have the same results and will be "reborn" once my shoulder is "back up to speed", so to speak. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Don't tell anyone....but actually the bike I'm looking forward to getting back on first is my KZ650C3.  :shock:
That little sucker is a laff-riot to ride around town/commute on surface city streets.....and it WILL give my shoulder a real workout, what with muscling it through the corners.
The Bandit, OTOH, will stay in the shed until a big trip comes up....probably about mid September. Of course I WILL have to take her out for the odd "refamiliarization" ride, I'm sure. :lol: :lol:
Ahhhh.....the joys of having a variety of rides to choose from. :wink: