Author Topic: midwest trip  (Read 3075 times)

Offline bnrboy775

• Board Homesteader!
midwest trip
« on: April 16, 2007, 03:47:36 AM »
me (99 600 bandit) and one of my buddies (05 yamaha vstar 750) are wanting to plan a road trip.. We just want a nice relaxing ride to get away from work and stuff for a couple weeks, last year we road  down to eureka springs arkansas for a weekend.. love those roads.. anyone know of any other places in the midwest that make good destinations

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
midwest trip
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 12:59:40 PM »
I see you're from Branson, MO... so you should have plenty of nice roads to choose from in the Ozarks of MO & AR. Eastern OK probably has some good choices, too - like the Talimena Scenic Drive.

If that's all too close to home, what about suffering thru Kansas and head for the Rockies in CO... lots of great roads there, too.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline bnrboy775

• Board Homesteader!
midwest trip
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 02:21:20 PM »
seems like a nice ride...  i dunno if we would be willing to suffer all the way through kansas thats a lot of flat land.....

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
midwest trip
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 02:49:28 PM »
Quote from: "bnrboy775"
seems like a nice ride...  i dunno if we would be willing to suffer all the way through kansas thats a lot of flat land.....

BTDT, you're right, it IS a lot of flat land (and Eastern Colorado is more of the same), but Western CO is very nice.

What about Texas Hill Country? You could ride thru Eastern OK Ozark and forest regions to get there.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline 03banditrdr

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
midwest trip
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 11:09:56 PM »
You cant beat the Texas Hill country.  FM337 FTW!!

www.ridetexas.com

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: midwest trip
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 12:27:39 AM »
Quote from: "bnrboy775"
me (99 600 bandit) and one of my buddies (05 yamaha vstar 750) are wanting to plan a road trip.. We just want a nice relaxing ride to get away from work and stuff for a couple weeks, last year we road  down to eureka springs arkansas for a weekend.. love those roads.. anyone know of any other places in the midwest that make good destinations

Well, howdy, neighbor! We're only a couple of hours from you... just east of West Plains. Feel free to stop in for a visit anytime!  :wink:

As far as "destinations", just about any of the many different Mark Twain National Forest campgrounds are excellent... but to me it's the journey, and the roads travelled on that interest me the most.

In that light, have you ever traveled north and east of Branson? I refer to the beautiful farmland and Amish country north of Route 60... such as up Hwy 5 through Hartville up towards Hwy 95 through Manes and Hwy 38 out of Fairview or Hwy 17 through Success... and the many roads in between such as 32, 119, 36, H, M, K, or VV and the Montauk State Park campgrounds...

And even farther north and east are many, many more roads and beautiful country to explore... and more parks and campgrounds like Red Bluff, Loggers Lake, etc. All those counties like Texas, Shannon, Dent, Reynolds all have rustic little towns full of down-home, friendly folks. And if you're not into camping, there are great bed & breakfasts in almost every town usually hidden away so you have to ask at the local store or fuel stop... but those are the best.  :wink:

And I haven't even touched the rest of Missouri! The whole northern half of the state is full of places to go... and the best thing is you have Missouri plates so you won't get hassled as much by the local "Barneys". And if you happen to have MO carry permits they're good everywhere you go.

We love our state, and we're looking forward to many summers and miles of smiles in the future to enjoy. Where ever you go I'm sure you'll find something to remember forever.  :motorsmile:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
midwest trip
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 01:58:27 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"
you should have plenty of nice roads to choose from in the Ozarks of MO & AR

Two words for summer riding in the ARK Ozarks:  Chicken Farms.  Not Chicken Ranch, home of the fabled Two Girl Party and Passion Chair Party.  No, I mean a smell that gets inside your helmet and NEVER gets back out!
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car