Author Topic: No Iron Butt Rider  (Read 3743 times)

Offline DOUG SLOCUM

• New user!
    • http://suzi600.smugmug.com/
No Iron Butt Rider
« on: June 12, 2006, 12:33:09 AM »
This weekend the weather and the week end crossed paths. So, I decided to take a little ride that I had planned out and it looked promising and should be a piece of cake. Right. There were some boring legs like, I-205 north to I-84 and the return on Hwy 26, but for the most part it was a real treat.

The Scapoose-Vernonia Hwy is a blast. Now I consider myself a conservative rider, I don't heal as quickly as I used to, but I do like to test myself in some twisties from time to time. It's a nice country two lane road through forest and farm land. It is a little rough in some spots however, think I will ride a letter to Sleepy Ted and tell him to turn loose of some road repair money, and actual repair some roads.

I stopped for some breakfast at a little place in Vernonia and heard how Davy got drunk and went to jail again. Some of the locals felt it was unfair that the cops tased him, but as I heard later Davy is 6' 6" and goes out at about 300lbs. Ain't local color grand.

Any who back on the road taking Hwy 202 toward Jewell. Very nice two lane road in good repair and then south on Fishawk Falls Hwy this road is very similar to Scapoose-Vernonia Hwy. This hooked up with Hwy 26 for the return.

Sorry for the rambling, but being an old fat fart I feel I am entitled. Here is what I found out. My '01 B6 is a real kick in the pants and performed excellantly, not a hitch. I did not fair so well. The round trip was 167 miles and I spent about four hours. I did mnake some stops along the way. This ride kicked my ass. There wasnt much that wasnt aching knees, ankles, throttle wrist, oh and let's not forget the butt. Ouch. When I got home I crashed, I was absolutely beat. Felt like I had been rode hard and put up wet. At the mid way point I noticed that I was not paying attention on some very simple curves. Had to slap myself up side the head a couple of times.

The scoot is stock except for some Hole Shot Goodies. Can anyone else relate to this, or am I doomed to daily commuting? Any suggestions for mods to help this tired old bod?
SPEED IS FINE, ACCURACY IS FINAL.

Offline dandit

• Board Homesteader!
No Iron Butt Rider
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 02:26:01 AM »
Practice, practice, practice,  pop a couple Advil before you leave, and be well rested. Have fun at all costs :motorsmile: The monkey butt will get better with time in the saddle and a Corbin or Sargent seat
'97 1200s with 65k- still rocks
06 Sonata v6 140mph
There ain't no medication like self medication!

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
No Iron Butt Rider
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 08:30:16 AM »
Doug, you refer to yourself as being old a couple times, but I don't know if that's 40-old, 60-old, or 80-old.  In my mid-40s, I've found that I don't take some things as well as I did when I was younger, but I do spend the occassional 10-hour 450-mile day on my '03 B12, and other than bar weights and a bar snake (both of which helped bar buzz marginally), all is stock.

What I do find is that the heat really saps me.  I don't sweat much, and even when I try to force myself to down a quart every hour, it all evaporates since I never need to stop and water the roadside shrubbery.   So I overheat easily.  Saurday I rode 100 miles up to a civil war battle reenactment and a chili contest, hung around a few hours in the heat, then rode home, and I was well and thoroughy whipped for the rest of the day/night.

I do enjoy reading these little vignettes, maybe we should all post them whenever we have a nice day, whether it counts as a roadtrip or not.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
No Iron Butt Rider
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 09:25:01 AM »
Hi, Doug!  Riding whips me, too.  I'm 49 and don't get as much riding practice as I'd like.  More than an hour or so starts to tire me.  The Advil idea does help.  Take a couple an hour before you start.  Controls the aches and pains.

I don't know how your bike is set up, but I had to make 4 specific adjustments to mine to make it comfortable enough to ride longer.  You may need to consider some of these.

Helibars - so that I could get the bars up and back enough for a comfortable upright riding position.

Longer cables and lines - to give full position flexibility to the Helibars.

Aftermarket seat - because the stock seat is a cruel joke.  A Sargent re-work was better...a Suzuki gel seat was best (for me).  There is also Corbin seats that some swear by.  My butt used to be on fire after an hour of riding.  I've more than tripled that with the gel seat.

Rear shock - I can't quite put my finger on why, but the ride with a more advanced shock is much more like floating, rather than being pounded.

These changes aren't cheap.  Seems to me a person shouldn't have to make them.  I'm convinced Suzuki has an agreement with or holds stock in some aftermarket accessory makers and that's why the ride when stock is like cr@p!

If I'd had to keep the Bandit's stock riding position, I would have sold the bike long ago.  Actually, I tried on eBay a few months after I got the bike and before my modifications because I just couldn't stand to ride it.

Still not as comfortable as my '78 GS750E was, but, hey!  Those days are gone.  Besides, I was 20 then and indestructible.  Maybe the ride really sucked and I didn't know it!  :wink:

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
No Iron Butt Rider
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 11:11:53 AM »
How about what can be done while riding to keep the juices flowing! The Boss trip from here to deal gap was just under 600 miles Rob & I did in about 11 hrs with no ill effects! He i noticed streaches and stands when he gets the chance in slow areas at slow speeds. He is in his 60's i hear, i'm only in my 50's but ride a comfy Busa! :beers:  :beers:  :motorsmile:

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
No Iron Butt Rider
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 11:22:26 AM »
Did he just say comfy and 'Busa in the same sentence?  :shock:

:wink:

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
No Iron Butt Rider
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 12:38:22 PM »
="Desolation Angel"]Did he just say comfy and 'Busa in the same sentence?  :shock:  :wink:
Yep!!! This bike is way more comfy @ hwy speeds (stock seat,bars, etc) than my bandit was with a Corbin. Around town in slow traffic it isn't. The wrist suffer from the slight lean fwd. At 65++++ the breeze makes you neutral, and the seat for both is surprisingly easy on the bum! I'm 54, 6'1" 220+- a few beers. The faster it goes the less effort needed no  :bs:  So on long rides it really  :winner: That is needed because it gets almost 50 mpg @ say 80 & under.   :stickpoke:  :monkeymoon:  :beers:  :beers:

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
No Iron Butt Rider
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 12:58:56 PM »
="Desolation Angel"]Did he just say comfy and 'Busa in the same sentence?  :shock:  :wink:
No reply to that!!! Don't get me wrong i will always have fond memories of My Bandit! I regret never riding the Dragon with her! But this one has the "Zuk" stamp of approval also! :beers:  :beers:  :motorsmile:

Offline DOUG SLOCUM

• New user!
    • http://suzi600.smugmug.com/
No Iron Butt Rider
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 01:36:54 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Looks like I may have to spend some more $$$ on up grades if I plan to try any long distance trips. The Advil was a really good idea as well as hydration.

Sven, yeah I refer to myself as "old". Past behaviors gave the Dark Angel a lot of chances to touch me on the shoulder. But, I am still suckin wind and pumpin blood. I use the "old" reference to remind me that any day above ground is a blessed gift. This might give you some insight:

http://suzi600.smugmug.com/
SPEED IS FINE, ACCURACY IS FINAL.

Offline oremike

• Board Homesteader!
No Iron Butt Rider
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 03:25:36 PM »
You might try adjusting your handlebars forward or back slightly , that really helps for comfort. For the seat rather than buy an off the shelf aftermarket ,don't get me wrong they are better than stock, go to Don Weber in Albany, Ore for a custom made one. I have one of his seats on my Bandit and regularly ride 500+ mile days with no discomfort. Something elso that most people don't think about is underware , if it bunchs, has seams in the wrong places or hold dampness close to your skin it can cause discomfort. I wear bicycle shorts under my leathers and that helps alot. Just as a data point I'll be 50 in a month.
Mike M.
Creswell, Oregon
Ride the roads that make you giggle in your helmet.

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
No Iron Butt Rider
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 04:19:26 PM »
He's right about things you can do to help your butt.  Some sort of a pad in a certain area helps alot.  I'm told.

Never mind.