Author Topic: 1200S Mechancial noise at low rpm?  (Read 4225 times)

Offline timwajw

• New user!
1200S Mechancial noise at low rpm?
« on: July 22, 2006, 10:12:18 AM »
I bought a 02 1200S last year w/ 6k mi.  I'm now at 10.3k mi.  I also picked up an unwanted new noise since a trip to NC/TN a few weeks ago.  At low rpm, 1200-1500 there is a mechanical noise that you can hear and almost feel; almost like a gear is catching.  But I'm not overly familiar with my options.  It does it while in neutral, so its not chain related.  It goes away as soon as the rpms increase.  Usually is not there at 1000 rpm.

Any suggestions?

BTW, western NC/eastern TN have some nice roads...put it on your 'to do list'

Tim, Sparta NJ
I've converted....from cruiser to sport....from little risk to more risk...from living for today to living for eternity...JC is my Master.

Offline NateFaris

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 06:10:46 PM »
You may want to ask the guys in the Bandit 1200 section

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 12:56:14 AM »
Maybe we know more lmao, cam chain tensioner or valve adjustment!
cheers thats my 2 cents
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline timwajw

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 03:26:29 PM »
Thanks,  I forgot I had gone to a 400 forum discussing another noise problem.  I'm guessing if the 1200 has a problem, the 400 might have it too.

I did, subsequently, post the same concern in the 1200 forum.

I envy your accessibility to the roads in western NC/eastern TN;  had a great time.  Huntersville NC was a nice stay too...but just as crowded as NJ.
I've converted....from cruiser to sport....from little risk to more risk...from living for today to living for eternity...JC is my Master.

Offline timwajw

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 03:28:37 PM »
cam chain tensioner is on my radar...

doesn't sound at all like a valve problem.

Thx

Offline NateFaris

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: 1200S Mechancial noise at low rpm?
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 03:54:10 PM »
Quote from: timwajw
Thanks,  I forgot I had gone to a 400 forum discussing another noise problem.  I'm guessing if the 1200 has a problem, the 400 might have it too.

I did, subsequently, post the same concern in the 1200 forum.

I envy your accessibility to the roads in western NC/eastern TN;  had a great time.  Huntersville NC was a nice stay too...but just as crowded as NJ.

Agreed, huntersville sucks the big one. I am actually dating a girl that goes to Western Carolina University, and the roads between there and Clemson, SC are all twisty fun roads winding through the mountains. She thinks I go to see her all the time because I like her or something.

Offline rg54669

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 08:23:22 AM »
I have the same issue on my 02 S.  I don't remember exactly when it started, seems like after I had the valves adjusted.  
Does it idle smoothly for a few seconds and then it almost hesitates like the engine is going to die?  For whatever reason, as soon as my bike warms up and idle is up to the normal rpm, it almost goes away.  It still is evident at a stop light, but not nearly as bad when the engine is cold.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Smokes!..What a Ride!"

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 09:32:41 AM »
This sounds weird but! 1G B12 98 nice and quiet until i replaced the battery! I guess the load on the alt would keep it meshed. When it didn't take as long to charge the new battery it was noisy during idle or up to  45 mph cruising speed where my pipe was quiet. It was more of a whine than a knock or rattle. It disappeared after a couple of months. These engines are so tuff we do more damage by fixing things that aren't needed. You feel like doing something for her! but all she needs is to be ridden!!!! and maybe she likes it harder than you think.. As long as there isn't metal slivers on the magnet of the drain plug??? Ride it like you stole it!!!!!! :motorsmile:  :beers: