Author Topic: Heated Grips and Fuse strength?  (Read 2785 times)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Heated Grips and Fuse strength?
« on: July 29, 2006, 03:21:17 PM »
Hi All,

I'm wiring heated grips into the 919.  The kimpex kit comes with the elements and the switch.  I've added an 87a bosch relay to allow it to only turn on when the ignition is on (using a sense wire from the headlight) and have drawn my hot and neg lines directly from the battery.  The hot has a fuse holder in it, so the system is protected.  

So,.. my only question here is.... what size of fuse do I need?  

I was thinking 3A, but I don't know where to find out how many amps these grips are realistically going to draw.

Anybody know??
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Kickstart

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 08:36:57 PM »
Hi

Think 2~3A would be fine. All the grip sets I have seen have claimed to draw very little current.

By the way, I normally wire the trigger for the relay from the feed to the rear brake light switch. Normally saves chopping into the main loom.

All the best

Keith

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 04:00:52 AM »
Hi

Think 2~3A would be fine. All the grip sets I have seen have claimed to draw very little current.

By the way, I normally wire the trigger for the relay from the feed to the rear brake light switch. Normally saves chopping into the main loom.

All the best

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks!  I had looked on the net and saw everything from 3A to 20A ( no kidding!) so I thought best to ask.

Define "main loom"?  Because almost all of my wiring lives in the headlight, it was easy to access the hot lead for the low beam on the bike, that's why I'd pulled my trigger from there.

Thanks
stormi
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Kickstart

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 11:37:21 AM »
Hi

My reason for using the rear brake light switch is that it is easy to get to, and generally means chopping into a short section of wire that is easily replaced as it is part of the brake light switch. I am a bit paranoid about cutting into the main loom, given that they are a nightmare to replace.

All the best

Keith

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 01:37:38 PM »
what size wire are you running to it?
01 1200s

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 03:32:02 PM »
Hi

My reason for using the rear brake light switch is that it is easy to get to, and generally means chopping into a short section of wire that is easily replaced as it is part of the brake light switch. I am a bit paranoid about cutting into the main loom, given that they are a nightmare to replace.

All the best

Keith

Ahh! Gotcha.  Ok, I did essentially the same thing.  The headlight wiring is also "poking out" of the end of the loom.  

The added bonus that I have with the headlight, as pointed out by a long time Honda mechanic, is that when the bike is started, the headlight goes out.  Meaning, if I've left the grips "on" they can't draw either during starting.  :grin:
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 03:35:11 PM »
what size wire are you running to it?

hmm,.. I knew this when I'd originally run the wire.  I'll see if I can find the roll again.  I do know that it wasn't exceptionally big wire, but it was bigger than what came with the grips.

(I had run this stuff probably 6 weeks ago now, but was a little paranoid, thanks to a previous "Oops" when I was wiring on the Bandit.  Luckily no damage, but enough to make me get someone else to check it first before I power it up this time.)

[edit] :duh: It was sitting in a box at my feet.  It's 16ga wire.  Got a 25ft roll, and color coded the ends.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390