Author Topic: 1G B6 Carb Issues  (Read 2253 times)

Offline SmokeyAndTheBandit

• Board Homesteader!
1G B6 Carb Issues
« on: August 04, 2008, 08:05:27 PM »
I recently installed a Holeshot stage 1 jet kit on my 97 B6. When I first put it back together it was running on 3 cylinders. I took the carbs off and here one pilot jet had a brass shaving stuck in it. I assumed it was from drilling out the caps. I thought I kept everything very clean but I guess not clean enough. Anyhow, I thoroughly cleaned out the carbs and I put it back together again. It fired right up and was firing on all four this time. Now I have another issue. It will not rev past 4k RPM or so. I took out the air filter so I could watch while I reved the motor and the slides aren't opening and vaporized fuel is misting out onto the air filter. I checked my float heights and they were all good (17mm). I'm really stumped by this one. If anyone has a suggestion please throw it out there because I'm at my wits end with this thing.  Oh and BTW, I put a can of seafoam in the tank while I was trying to clean out the carbs. I seriously doubt it would cause this problem though. I've ran it before with no problems.
Mike
"If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right." -Jerry Seinfeld
1997 Bandit S 600

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.billsbikesnservice.com
Re: 1G B6 Carb Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 11:29:48 AM »
The throttle slides will not open instantaneously when you twist the throttle. They open based on vacuum. Now if you have a vacuum leak, a dirty throttle slide or a worn throttle slide that affect the operation of the throttle slide going up and down.

Vacuum leaks can be caused by torn diaphrams, caps not sealing, carbs not sealing to intake boots or a cracked carb housing (this is very rare). Dirty can be varnish build up, dirt or other things. You can check the throttle slide action by lifting with your finger and see how easy it slides up and down.