Author Topic: 2 line VS 3 front brake line  (Read 3258 times)

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
2 line VS 3 front brake line
« on: November 09, 2006, 05:49:30 AM »
On my other forum, one of the members mentioned about having stoppie power on his CBF using a 2 line setup.  Could it be possible that you get better braking from using a dual brake line compared to 3 line setup?
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline boyerg56

• New user!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 10:23:04 AM »
It probably won't make a noticeable difference.  See the December 06 Cycle World for a complete explanation.  A read a simular question.
My Wheels
2006 FZ1 (yes i'm a traitor)
2002 Ram 1500
2005 G6 GT

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 01:29:41 PM »
Quote:
It probably won't make a noticeable difference. See the December 06 Cycle World for a complete explanation. A read a simular question.

Probably be easier if I had a copy of it.

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 02:09:28 PM »
I had a 2 line setup on my B12. The steel lines looked cool but I couldn't say that the brakes felt better.

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 12:12:39 AM »
Thanks for the CW article tip, WEINERDOGBONE. I'll have to check that out if I can find a copy.
This is one of the things that has kind of nagged me about the front brakes on the '06 models....the weird setup with the master cylinder line running to the right hand caliper and then the separate line running over to the left hand caliper. I hate it when manufacturers cheap out by saving a few bucks on a splitter block with equal length lines to each caliper. There's got to be a slight time lag between application of the left caliper compared to the right. Would it make a difference to my braking ??? Maybe, under certain circumstances.....
Gotta read that article and see what the "expert" opinion is.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 12:50:28 AM »
One of the arguments against it in that Cycle World article was that two lines might cause uneven pressure on the caliper, pulling the bike right or left. Would take longer to apply the breaks because of the extra fluid you had to move. Of course this was a dealer providing these non-sense reasons which is no surprise.
 :bs:

Offline DaveG

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 10:24:02 AM »
the BRAKES work on pressure
as liquids do not compress, the amount of liquid has no effect.   anyway the two lines are of equal length on my system.
the pads on both move the same very small distance

some setups have different pads and discs on each side. one steel or cast iron for quick response and one carbon for no fade but takes longer to heat up.

these systems do not pull to one side. neither does a single disc for that matter.

the two line system just makes for a more direct link to the caliper.  i went for the two because of less connections to possibly leak.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 04:51:40 PM »
CORRECT! 8^)

Quote from: "DaveG"
the BRAKES work on pressure
as liquids do not compress, the amount of liquid has no effect.   anyway the two lines are of equal length on my system.
the pads on both move the same very small distance

some setups have different pads and discs on each side. one steel or cast iron for quick response and one carbon for no fade but takes longer to heat up.

these systems do not pull to one side. neither does a single disc for that matter.

the two line system just makes for a more direct link to the caliper.  i went for the two because of less connections to possibly leak.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 07:33:54 PM »
I deal with hydraulics at work and understand the priniciples.  I was just wondering if the two line might have an advantage some how.  The census seems to come to an answer of no.