Author Topic: Is this the beginning of the end for my chain?  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Tundrahog

• Board Homesteader!
Is this the beginning of the end for my chain?
« on: September 17, 2006, 09:03:34 PM »
I've been having trouble with my chain getting loose all summer.  I've tightened it 3 times already this summer (about 4k miles) and have travelled about 2 marks on on the indicator on the swing-arm.  The pin-to-pin measurment says I am still in spec (barely).  This is my first chain driven MC, is this typical behavior, and is there a chain and sproket change in my near future?

Also, the bike has less than 9k miles total, and I do a pretty good job of keeping the chain lubed.  Isn't it a little early for this?
Jon

2004 Suzi B12

Offline GSFStiny

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 10:01:11 PM »
Provided its an o-ring, it should last alot longer.  Did you perchance replace the chain without changing sprockets?  That will accelerate wear to an unbelievable rate.  Also a possibility is running it too tight.  Running it too tight causes it to overheat and blow the orings.  That lets the grease leak out and the rest is history.  The middle of the lower run on the chain should have about 1" of slack on the sidestand.
I used to think the brain was the most fascinating organ in the body.  Then I thought, 'well sure, look who's telling me that.'

99 bandit 1200s

Offline theroamr

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 11:20:30 PM »
That is a little early. Even the stock crap chain will normally last 15-20k. Have you been adjusting it to tightly. This will wear it out quickly. When you done adjusting your chain, sit on the bike with the kick stand and center stand up, so your full weight is on the bike. Then reach down with your left hand and with your fingers push the chain up right underneath the chain guide. It should just about touch the bottom of the guide. The reason you do this while on the bike is the swing arm moves up with your weight on the bike. This will increase the distance from the center of each sprocket slightly making the chain tighter than when it was up on the center stand when you adjusted it. Hope this helps. I use to run my chain a little on the tight side myself. My first few chains only lasted about 12-15 k. Now I get about 20-25k and ride harder now. I do use the zvm x ring chain which probably helps a little. Sprockets are important as noted above as well. Get new ones for each chain replacement.
We don't need more sensitivity training, we need DE-sensitivity training. Too many people with skin so thin you can see their quivering, sensitive little bones just waiting to be offended.

Learn to take a punch!!!

Offline KX5000

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 10:57:27 PM »
Just being installed on a 1200 Bandit is the beginning of the end for any chain!! :motorsmile:
3 Kids
2 Dogs
1 Wife
NO problem!(yeah right!!)

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 11:17:02 PM »
Quote from: KX5000
Just being installed on a 1200 Bandit is the beginning of the end for any chain!! :motorsmile:

:stooges:
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 12:04:19 AM »
If a chain is constantly needing tightening, then it is time to change it out.  I had a CB550K and took it from Phoenix to California.  About half way there, I was getting serious chain slapping.  I adjusted the chain and pressed on.  By the time I got to California, it was just as loose again.  I immediately replaced the chain.  If you suspect a chain going, be on the safe side and change it.  I knew a guy that had a chain break on him and it wasn't pretty.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!