Author Topic: torque specifications?  (Read 3259 times)

Offline elbandido

• Board Homesteader!
torque specifications?
« on: September 28, 2006, 01:48:23 AM »
Hi All,

How do you know if you are torquing to the right specifications,
according to the Manuals???
Is there some special instrument that measures it, or is it just
a guessing game while you're torquing screws, or bolts?

Curious,
El Bandido :motorsmile:
2000 bandit 600

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
torque specifications?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 02:12:37 AM »
There is a simple tool called a torque wrench.  It actually more resembles a ratchet.  There are two basic kinds out there.  There is the dial type, which you increase pressure and watch the dial until you reach your desired torque.  The other is where you preset your desired torque and it clicks when you reach your desired torque.  They normally use inch lbs and ft lbs.  Overseas people can figure out their own metric stuff.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline GSFStiny

• Board Homesteader!
torque specifications?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 10:22:03 AM »
Very simple, but very precise.  Never, ever use a torque wrench like a ratchet (breaking bolts loose), it will mess up the calibration and youll end up with stripped threads somewhere.  You can rent them at auto parts stores, but if you are going to be doing alot of your own work I would just buy one.  You can get a reasonably good one for about $100, and youll use it all the time.
I used to think the brain was the most fascinating organ in the body.  Then I thought, 'well sure, look who's telling me that.'

99 bandit 1200s

Offline elbandido

• Board Homesteader!
torque specifications?
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 02:41:40 AM »
Thanks, for all of your help :thanks:

I've noticed that there's 2 versions of the Torque Wrench, the 1/2" and
3/8".  What does this mean?  Would I need to purchase both versions
for all torque applications on my Bandit?  Basically, what's the difference
between the 1/2" and 3/8", from what I notice one's handle is longer than
the other.

I'm just starting to work on my own bike, and am grateful for all of your expertise.

ELBandido :banana:
2000 bandit 600

Offline ttewejnodnarb

• Board Homesteader!
torque specifications?
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 11:09:52 AM »
The 1/2" and 3/8" are drive sizes.  Sockets have different size square holes at one end that snap onto the drive part of the socket wrench.  The usual are 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4" (which is huge).  My wrench is 3/8" drive and goes from 8Nm to 100Nm (100Nm = 74FtLb approx) but I have a full range of sockets that span 1/4" drive to 1/2" drive.

With that said, 3/8" drive is a pretty good size IMO.  You can find adapters to match different drive sockets to different drive wrenches.  What you want to look for in a torque wrench is the range of torque.  The manuals use Newton Meters so my wrench has both scales (Nm and FtLb) because I am a dumb ass and cannot convert that quick :wink: .  IIRC the manual goes from about 10Nm to 115Nm so you may be able to find one wrench that gets close or you may need two that overlap.  Hope this helps!
 :lol:
Brandon
98 B12S

Offline ttewejnodnarb

• Board Homesteader!
torque specifications?
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 11:22:29 AM »
...Oh, I forgot...The reason why the handle is longer on the 1/2" drive wrench may be because the max torque is greater requiring more leverage.

Another point of interest that determines drive size, most larger size sockets that I have seen (like the 32mm used for the front sprocket nut) are of the larger 1/2" drive.
Brandon
98 B12S

Offline timjim

• TURBO TYPER!
tirque wrenches
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 03:15:00 PM »
For general motorbike use,id recommend a 3/8 square drive as the torque range will be lower..if you need to use larger (1/2"square drive) sockets an adaptor can be bought to convert from 3/8 "to 1/2" square drive..its cheaper than buying 2 torque wrenches. :banana: