Author Topic: B6 help needed  (Read 3771 times)

Offline trashedmaxx

• New user!
B6 help needed
« on: April 11, 2005, 10:07:24 PM »
I stored my bike for the winter in my garage.  It ran fine when I put it away.  I put stabilizer in the fuel.  I started it once in mid winter - it started but it didn't run very good.  Now spring is here, I got it out and tried to start it and it wouldn't start.  I drained out all the gas from the tank and the carbs, I bought new spark plugs and I changed the oil.  I sprayed starting fluid in the carbs and it started but stalled instantly.  I have the carbs off now and I am hesitant to clean them because it seems like it would be a little over my head.  But they look pretty clean.  I pulled 2 of the spark plugs out to check for spark and they seem kind of weak.  Is there something in the ignition that could go bad from just sitting over the winter?  

When it's turning over it isn't firing at all.  Could this be a fuel problem or a spark problem?

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
Re: B6 help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 10:36:11 PM »
Quote from: "trashedmaxx"
I stored my bike for the winter in my garage.  It ran fine when I put it away.  I put stabilizer in the fuel.  I started it once in mid winter - it started but it didn't run very good.  Now spring is here, I got it out and tried to start it and it wouldn't start.  I drained out all the gas from the tank and the carbs, I bought new spark plugs and I changed the oil.  I sprayed starting fluid in the carbs and it started but stalled instantly.  I have the carbs off now and I am hesitant to clean them because it seems like it would be a little over my head.  But they look pretty clean.  I pulled 2 of the spark plugs out to check for spark and they seem kind of weak.  Is there something in the ignition that could go bad from just sitting over the winter?  

When it's turning over it isn't firing at all.  Could this be a fuel problem or a spark problem?

i guarantee if you throw a fresh set of plugs in it ,it will take off like new
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline trashedmaxx

• New user!
B6 help needed
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 11:09:59 PM »
I put new spark plugs in it do you think I should try another new set?

Offline Airmotive

• Board Homesteader!
B6 help needed
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 11:32:52 PM »
It could be something as simple as a discharged battery...in which case the battery would be such a drain that you get poor spark to the plugs. This is a possibility, but more likely than not the carbs are gummed up.

Relax...and it's really not that big of a deal. The hardest part is getting the carbs off and back on. (A little harder going on than off...it's getting the cables on that will give you some fits).

Since you already have the carbs off, there's really no reason to not clean the carbs. Get a couple of cans of carb cleaner at Wal-Mart....$5 total.

Here's a link to the 2001+ B6 manual:

http://www.gofastvideo.com/gallery/album/view/483/free-racing-videos/suzuki-service-manual.html

Take your time; do one carb at a time, take pictures/notes as you take stuff apart. And wear safety glasses...the carb cleaner has a tendancy to shoot back!

Try to keep the carb cleaner off the rubber parts, like the diaphragms, but a little carb cleaner won't kill it.

It's a very gratifying thing to take a non-runner and bring it back to life. Do some reading this week, make a plan, and set aside this Saturday or Sunday to Git'r done!....and have fun, too.
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
B6 help needed
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 05:26:25 AM »
If you put stabilizer in the fuel prior to storage - and ran it at that time long enough to get stabilized fuel into the carbs, then I have to go with either bad plugs or a weak battery. I'd toss in fresh plugs first, since it can't hurt to have fresh ones anyway - and they're probably cheaper than a battery.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
B6 help needed
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 05:28:05 PM »
another thing put the petcock to prime along with new plug`s... that is exactly what i had to do to get mine fired up this spring .M
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
B6
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 02:14:33 PM »
My B6 sat for close to a year outside before I got it.  I doubt any fuel stabilizer was put in.  The battery was toast.  I drained the carbs, tank, and put in fresh fuel. I replaced the battery and it fired right up.  I would go with a new battery.  The battery on the B6 is a small sealed unit and if a couple cells go bad it probably won't run.

Offline trashedmaxx

• New user!
B6 help needed
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 04:17:29 PM »
Thanks everybody, i got it running. Gave it a jump off my truck. I'm pretty sure it was the battery but it has all new plugs, cleaned carb so it runs alot better than it did last year. The bike also starts alot easier now too. Warm up time seems to be cut in half.