Author Topic: highway throttle drag, then engine stall  (Read 3062 times)

Offline elbandido

• Board Homesteader!
highway throttle drag, then engine stall
« on: April 30, 2005, 11:50:34 PM »
hi all, about 3 times now in the past few months, i've been experiencing some   throttle drag, followed by the engine stalling, with the red oil light on, especially on the highway.  i try and restart the engine, and revs back up after a few tries.  i turn the gas nob to reserve, and all seems fine again, with acceleration back to normal.  the problem is, it happened at 138 miles and then, this last time, today, at only 110 miles, from last fill up.  my haynes manual says i've got ~170 miles until i should fill up.  also i do put about 1/4 chevron techron fuel additive after each fill up.  could i be really running out of gas at 110 miles?  any ideas, why my 2000 bandit 600 might be behaving this way?    :shock:
2000 bandit 600

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 08:22:18 AM »
How much gas does it take to fill it up? Check your mileage. If your getting more than 40 mpg then its probably something with the primary pickup. I'm not sure how everything works inside the tank but maybe you just have a large reserve? When was your last tune-up?

Offline elbandido

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 02:14:53 PM »
i bought the bike used in february, and the previous owner had the last tune up a year ago.  the bike had a check over a few weeks ago, while the dealership put on a new chain and front tire, and they said everything looks fine.  so that's why i'm suspecting something to do with how much gas usage.  the haynes manual says i have about 5.28 gallons tank capacity, and about 1.18 gallons in reserve, at ~47 mpg.  so it doesn't make sense to me that i would have to go to reserve by 130 miles or even 110 miles.  

:thanks:   for your response, in responding to my dilemma.  maybe i should bring the bike in for a maintenance tune up.  any idea how much i should be spending for a tune up at the dealership?
2000 bandit 600

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 03:10:40 PM »
The primary pickup is a tube with a screen on the side of it, if I remember correctly. It's possible that the lower portion of the screen has gotten clogged up. If your feeling adventurious, try draining the tank and then removing the petcock, you should be able to clean it from there.

Actually a good tank cleaning couldn't hurt at all, mine was filled with rust and sludge when I got it. I've since had it kreemed and had the petcock replaced.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Jacknife

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 06:11:13 PM »
I get around 120miles then have to go to reserve, when i first got the bike done 195miles and ran out. Manual states a 4.5ltr reserve (About 1/4 a tank) but if thats the case, im doing 120 miles to 15ltrs of fuelwhich is around 38 to the gallon. NOT GOOD! must look more a fuel. Micron end can is all thats been changed on the engine side of things!

May look more at this later on this year. :bigok:
99' B6