Author Topic: Bandit neutral light  (Read 11473 times)

Offline jeepbandit

• First Post! Be Gentle!
Bandit neutral light
« on: June 21, 2005, 09:46:59 PM »
Hi eveyone. I'm new to banditalley and hoping someone can help me. I own a 2001 Bandit 1200S and absolutely love it. It does everything well and at a great cost also. The problem is my neutral light. It comes on only occasionally and the kickstand switch is attached to it. So when letting the bike warm up, I can't put the kickstand down unless that green light is on. Even though it is in neutral and the kickstand is down, the bike will shut off. I have narrowed the problem down to a wire that goes into the engine case. Sometimes I pull on the wire a little or push on it to cause the light to come on. But nothing seems consistent. Again any help is appreciated. I would rather have some knowledge for ammunition before I go to a dealer and ask for parts or have them crack the engine open. Thanks.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Bandit neutral light
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 10:31:46 PM »
If you can't fix the offending wire, you could jump the sidestand switch so the system thinks the stand is always up.

The wire doesn't go into the engine/transmission itself, just into the countershaft cover and then into the neutral safety switch, which can be replaced without major hassle, if need be. Sounds more like you just have a wire that is shorting where it passes thur the cover though, so you should be able to patch that up pretty easy.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline jesjames9598

• TURBO TYPER!
Bandit neutral light
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 05:55:45 AM »
[your neutral switch has two wires coming from it.one of these goes to a one way diode on the left side under side cover.follow wires from switch you will find it .very small has three wires going to it.These get loose dirty and wet from time to time ,have fixed on 4 bandits allready.just unplug them clean and put back works every time good luck.[/list]

Offline Silverstreak

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit neutral light
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 10:32:23 AM »
I've got the same problem on my 02/B12.

Jes, can you give a little more explanation. Where is the switch? port or starboard? high or low?
Do or do not, there is no try.  
-Yoda

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit neutral light
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 04:46:36 PM »
The switch on the transmission actually drives several circuits.  In neutral a ground is supplied to the neutran lamp, which light it.  

In other gears a ground is supplied to the ignition module to "tell" the module which gear you're in and to set the advance curve to match.  Checking the wiring diagram will give you the color of all of these wires if you trace them out on the schematic diagram.  

Cleaning the multipin connector should help if it's a connection problem, but the switch could be bad too, especially at high mileage.

Check <www.ronayers.com> for the part and a discounted price.

Offline elbandido

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Bandit neutral light
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 03:03:07 AM »
Hi all,

I've recently had my Neutral Light not working, so I proceeded to take off the case
and futz with the Neutral Light Switch.  While my Bandit is in neutral and when I press my finger on it,
the light comes on.  Without the finger pressure it goes out.

So I decide to unscrew the switch off, and as it comes off there is a little oil that
drains from the area.  So I quickly clean the points and area, and replace the switch back in place.
Which makes the green light come on again, but fails again the next morning as I ride to work.

Is this normal to have oil in this area, or could the small amount of
oil be disrupting the switch from illuminating my Neutral light.  Just wondering if I may
have a bigger problem there with the oil seepage.  Or do I just have a bad
Neutral Switch, and should be replaced?

Thank you for any ideas or responses.

Be Safe,
elbandido
2000 bandit 600

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Bandit neutral light
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 11:02:02 AM »
It is normal for the area to get oily from chain lube, but not motor oil (unless, of course, that's what you use for chain lube).
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)