Author Topic: Brand new Bandit 1200s with problems.  (Read 3502 times)

Offline maddiesdaddy1

• New user!
Brand new Bandit 1200s with problems.
« on: April 22, 2005, 12:45:36 AM »
I just purchased a brand new 2005 Bandit 1200s from a local dealer and 30 miles later I am experiencing problems (I will have it in the shop within a day or so to have the dealer fix the problem, I simply want a 2nd opinion. While in neutral or at a complete stop in first gear the Bike idles very rough, struggling not to stall. While in same position, if handle bars are turned sharply to the right or left, the bike stalls instantly. Adjusted the idle speed to within the recommended 1200-1400rpm range but this had no impact on the problem. Also, while playing with the throttle in an attempt to raise the RPM's to prevent the engine from stalling, the throttle seemed to stick even after releasing it, forcing me to kill the engine. I am not a mechanic, but know enough about motorcycles and engine function to know that this is not normal. Any Ideas?

Offline chevsuz12

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 12:53:18 AM »
I would suggest checking the tension on the throttle and choke cables. Make sure they are not too tight, or routed in a manner that allows them to pinch, kink, bind, etc.  when handlebars are turned.

Good luck.
B12 Streetfighter!

Offline BBurton

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 01:22:45 AM »
Sounds like the dealer did a pretty crappy job of prepping the bike before you picked it up. :duh:
2005 " All Black" DL1000 V-Strom
"CAUTION", front wheel may rise under hard acceleration!

Offline jfudo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 09:09:49 AM »
Sticking cable, can be dangerous.  Trace it back to see if it is tight somewhere.

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 09:26:40 AM »
Quote from: "chevsuz12"
I would suggest checking the tension on the throttle and choke cables. Make sure they are not too tight, or routed in a manner that allows them to pinch, kink, bind, etc.  when handlebars are turned.

Good luck.

He nailed it.  This is your problem.  Look in your owners manual.  It will tell you how to readjust.  Yours is too tight (the throttle cables) and thats why when you turn the bars, it dies.

Dave
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 12:30:18 PM »
Make sure the enrichener (choke) cable is correctly adjusted too.  It might be the culprit as turning the bars could cause the cable to lift the enrichener just a bit which would richen the mixture and "choke" the engine.

On my 2003 the linkage that activates the enricheners (1 per carb) was sticking and wouldn't close them when off.  I lubricated the linkage with a teflon based lubricant and all is well.  I can move the choke lever at the handlebar about 1/4" before the linkage starts to life the plunger -- you can observe the effect by looking at the left side of the carbs while operating the lever -- the adjustment is at the handlebar end, just below the choke lever.

Offline maddiesdaddy1

• New user!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 01:41:16 PM »
Thanks for all of your input regarding my new Bandit. I just got back from the dealer and the choke cable was the problem. It is good to have a forum where the people who respond to questions and concerns actually know what they are talking about. Again- thanks.