Author Topic: carb problems ?  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Lynxx

• TURBO TYPER!
carb problems ?
« on: March 22, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »
When i set the idle on my bike it idles at 2k then drops below and dies.. it idles fine over 2k but as soon as it drops its a gonner and its really irritating when your stuck in traffic having to start it all the time. The carbs are balanced, the clip is half way up, jets are stock, mixture screw is 1 turn in (gets worse as you turn it out) And spark plugs are a nice color and exhaust is sooty on the end. Whats wrong ??

Its a 1992 GSF400V

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: carb problems ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »
Sounds like it needs the o'rings in the carbs renewing.

Offline Lynxx

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 07:02:41 PM »
When i cleaned the carbs the O-rings looked healthy, the inside of the carbs look brand new, all the plastic is still white. Anyway what size O-rings do i need to get ? And if i go down to my car mechanics and get some o-rings will they work ? He gives me o-rings so this would be a nice cheap way to fix the problem.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 05:56:56 PM »
So long as they are Viton you will be ok.

Offline Lynxx

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 08:29:04 PM »
i replaced the emulsion o-rings, all the other ones i got were too fat. Im gana get some more on wednesday from a different mechanics. idles better after i raised the needle clips all the way up, and now has a dead spot in mid range, which makes me think its more than likely the float needles not seating or the o-rings, or perhaps i adjusted a float height by mistake ?

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 04:39:47 PM »
The reason its bad in the mid range is due to moving the needles, they control part/mid throttle.
Sounds like the pilot/idle system is not working correctly.

Offline locky

• New user!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 01:53:30 AM »
Did you check the emulsion tube for wear?They wear out of round and can cause all kinds of low end problems...