Author Topic: carb probs need lil help  (Read 2074 times)

Offline its840

• Board Homesteader!
carb probs need lil help
« on: May 21, 2006, 04:50:35 PM »
ok well it all started a few days ago.  think it had something to do with my gas valve settin on the gas tank.  well it leaked gas all over the floor of the garage and filled the air filter box full of fuel. well i drained the oil and changed the filter, and took the carbs off and completely cleaned them. took the jets out to inspect and clean. ok well heres my prob now. then i set the air/fuel screw to 3 turns out. bike took a few minutes to start. but it finaly started. i noticed white smoke comin outa the exhaust...  never didi this b4.  but it ran great killer throttle responce till 3000 rpm.  so i turned them out a quarter turn. same deal but till 4k rpm now. but it started to get warm so i shut it down, should i have turned them in to 2.75 or is 3.25 where they should b.

also when i first started messing with the air screws they where all set at 3 turns out.   thanks for any and all help
99'   B6

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
carb probs need lil help
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 07:25:09 PM »
white smoke is a sign of incomplete combustion of fuel. (or in my case when I got my bandit, water in the tank) So what may have happened is there was junk in one of yur jets or instead of having the petcock on the "ON" or "RES" position, it was set to "PRI".  May want to double check that one. I think it is consensus on the board to go about 2.5-2.75 turns out to start. You did do a good think on checking where you were before you started tearing everything apart and verifyin that you were at 3 turns out. I would try to go about 2.5, take the bike out and get'er real warm and then fiddle with the screws again. Your prolly just running a bit rich, no prob. But check your fuel too.
01 1200s

Offline its840

• Board Homesteader!
carb probs need lil help
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 01:06:30 AM »
thanks agian.  set them to 2.5 no boggin, need to realy take her out for a longer period to make sure that where they are sup[osta be. but they workin great for now.  thanks agian.
99'   B6