Author Topic: Carburetors  (Read 3622 times)

Offline victor55

• Board Homesteader!
Carburetors
« on: August 20, 2006, 04:15:59 AM »
Well Team, as most of you know I am rebuilding (yes paul - still), a 1976 CB400F and last weekend I got the rebuilt motor running.

My problem is that I have a (that's one of the four) carburetor which is overflowing. Now that's not the major problem because today I took the carb assembly off to find the source of the overflow. I have adjusted the small lever which connects with the shut off valve and it looks like that might solve that problem.

But wait, there's more. The carb bowl has a groove all round its edge into which the tubular gasket fits. Now, as I have taken the bowl off to fix the overflow, the bloody gasket has extended itself and now its too big in girth to fit into the groove that it supposed to

Some of you fellas have taken carbs off to change your needle setting. Have any of you had this situation occur with your Bandits, or do they have a different gasket system.

I tried putting the gasket into the freezer to contract it but that didnt seem to make much difference.

What's up Doc? :crybaby:
GSF1250SA

Marty

Offline hmmmnz

• New user!
Carburetors
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 08:21:20 PM »
what type of carbs are they?? i dont even have gaskets in my carbs, its just metal to metal and they don't leak. you'll probly get a set from bikebandit or some other online bike store for cheap :grin:
kiwi living in edinburgh

Offline GSFStiny

• Board Homesteader!
Carburetors
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 11:07:47 PM »
Sounds curious....if you do indeed need a new gasket check www.z1enterprises.com.  They have all kinds of odds & ends for vintage jap bikes.
I used to think the brain was the most fascinating organ in the body.  Then I thought, 'well sure, look who's telling me that.'

99 bandit 1200s

Offline victor55

• Board Homesteader!
Carburetors
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 04:14:15 AM »
Thanks Guys for your suggestions.

It seems that my initial concerns may be unwarranted. I walked away from the problem 24 hrs ago and posted my notice.

Since then, the classic Bike fairy has visited. When i got home from work today, I checked out the gaskets. Wahoo :banana:  - they had shrunk almost back to their right size. another 24 hrs might do the trick.

Now dont ask me whats going on - I am stumped but happier :bigok:
GSF1250SA

Marty

Offline Airmotive

• Board Homesteader!
Carburetors
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 10:59:04 PM »
You posted before I could help ya!
Carb cleaner will cause most rubber parts to swell. I'm sure it has to be bad for rubber in the long run, but I've never seen a diaphragm or gasket ruined.
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline victor55

• Board Homesteader!
Carburetors
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 11:38:14 PM »
Thanks Airmotive - appreciate the gesture :grin:
GSF1250SA

Marty

Offline longislandbandit99

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Carburetors
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 08:10:50 PM »
Ethanol in gas will also cause rubber gaskets, o-rings, etc to swell.

Offline longislandbandit99

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Carburetors
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 03:37:42 PM »
Not sure if anyone ever noticed but the float height of 13mm makes the float parallel to the body of the carburetor where the bowl cover mates up.  It's a good way to eyeball the height as you fine tune it with a caliper.