Author Topic: chain riding on gear selector problem!  (Read 2696 times)

Offline wantone

• TURBO TYPER!
chain riding on gear selector problem!
« on: July 27, 2011, 02:16:04 AM »
i think ive encountered a problem... ive bought a 400 bandit that was lowered to much for me, ive lenghtened the bones to raise it but the chain now seems to be riding over the gear selector. ive jacked the bike up by 20mm, measured at seat hight. and now the chain rides over the gear selector.. do i need to fit some kind of guide to prevent this or is it normal?

Offline wantone

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: chain riding on gear selector problem!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 05:49:29 PM »
no one got any comments! ive just noticed i have a 15 tooth front sprocket.. think standard is 14... could the extra size of the 15 sprocket be my problem?

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 11:27:43 AM »
On my 400 the chain is nowhere near the shift peg.  There should be a cover over the front sprocket, 14 vs. 15 shouldn't make a difference.  Do you have a photo to clarify your issue?

Offline wantone

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 12:04:44 PM »
here's a couple, can i ask what lenght the bones are you have on mine are 184mm

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 01:40:39 AM »
could the extra size of the 15 sprocket be my problem?

It will certainly be adding to your problem. A smaller sprocket, both front and rear will result in more space.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 09:47:29 PM »
My 'bones are whatever the stock length is, never measured them.  I changed the shock to one from a 2006 GSXR600 but didn't change any of the mounting hardware.

Offline wantone

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 08:14:07 AM »
ok im going to keep the 15 tooth sprocket as i dont see it being much bigger than the 14! im going to remove the homebrew bones i have on, then set the bike up at a ride hight that gives the chain clearance from the gear selector rod, then measrure and make up some new bones in mild steel put them on and see how it looks. at least then the chain wont catch the shaft when the rear suspension is at full travel or when the bike goes light over bumps etc hopfully ill still have significant hight increese from what it was!