Author Topic: CLUTCH PLATES  (Read 2893 times)

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
CLUTCH PLATES
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:00:44 AM »
Closing in on 42k miles on my 98 B12. Last year I finally noticed my clutch slipping when coming out hard out of turns. It wasn't noticeable on the street or while instructing classes,but only when playing with the racers. So before the new season started(1st track days with Moto Series track days and road racing is the end of this month.) I thought I'd replace the friction plates.Now granted,I never claimed to be a bike tech,and never did a clutch before. But I have a Haynes manual,and my buddy let me use a lift at his shop.
 I road the bike there,thinking this was going to be a quick 2 hr project. I laid the parts out on the lift facing down that went in.My buddy came to assist me while I was installing the new EBC kevlar plates,and started picking things up that I laid out in order set them down in a pile and started 2nd quessing myself :banghead:
 The 1st assembly I had to redo because I didn't have the right plate over the anti chudder spring/washer/whatever,no biggie, fixed it and assembled them right,put it back together. New oil in,everything buttoned up, but the clutch didn't feel right. Started it up,and there was a rapping,like the rod was bagging from the other side? :duh:
  Cleaned a pan so I didn't waste the new oil and dumped it. Took the cover back off,and started disassembling,tried turning around the  two new springs (remember the part about picking up the stuff I had laid out),put it back together,was able to put most of the oil back in,started it up,and the same rattling/banging noise. :banghead:
  The fluid was low and dirty in the resivour,so put the sucker on it and has fresh fluid in it now. I ran out of time and had my buddy give me a ride home. Any ideas on where I fouled up? I'll have to wait untill after work on Monday to start all over again.I'm thinking I'll pull the other side and check the push rod,clean and put back together. Pick up another qt. of oil and just lay everything back out.
  This is something racers can change between races,but some how it manages to become a big project for me.
   Happy Easter every one, Dan

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: CLUTCH PLATES
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 01:48:06 PM »
Man... I'm no help at all on this since I haven't done clutch plate work yet but somewhere I remember seeing you're supposed to soak the plates in oil for a certain length of time (24 hours???) before re-assembly.  Keep us posted on your progress. 
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 02:51:02 PM »
 I found it! I did oil up the plates 1st,but its worse than that.The housing that the clutches set in,have gears on the other side. I started to pull it out, but didn't need to go there and pushed it back in. Well it didn't mesh all the way back in,and the smalls gear on the end is missing 3 teeth. so had to fish out the missing medle out of the bottom end with a magnet and I'll have to replace the gear. Its pressed on,so I hope I can get it apart and just buy the single gear and not the whole unit. :annoy: I guess this is called the school of hard knocks,but I'm tired of paying tuition.  Dan

Offline sandy klock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:51:41 AM »
 Dan; sorry to hear bout missing teeth.  did you get part or is it something I might have.  I also have a extra 600 clutch if gears are same.  Are you talking about basket?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 12:44:12 PM by sandy klock »
Fast? yes I'm fast, like a tortoise

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 05:44:06 AM »
  Its the oil pump gear. I stopped at the dealer after work.It only shows the generator gear on the schematic, and ordered it. Then went back to the shop to check,and it was the wrong one. Its the smallest gear the generator gear is the next biggest one. So I left a message for the parts salesman. Being smaller, I hope that means cheaper too.because the generator gear is $164.00! :banghead:

Offline sandy klock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 09:41:10 AM »
Dan; did you get it handled? I have a spare motor I can pull one off of.  While searching old posts for a busa fork swap I ran into others that performed same tooth extraction. You may have saved me or others from this,  thanks   sandy
Fast? yes I'm fast, like a tortoise

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 06:39:01 AM »
  Its all back together,thanks for the offer. The dealer called the next day and had my part,(the generator & oil pump gear come together in 1 pc.) There was no shipping charge,so I'm thinking they must have had it in stock and just didn't know it at 1st. So I must not have been the 1st one to make this screw-up. The basket felt like it notched in, but  wasn't. So when ever your ready to change clutch plates,take a good look with a light and make sure all the gears are meshed in.
  Now I'm hoping to make the 1st track day on the 28th, but so far I've haven't had much extra gas $. Seems like my paychecks have been spent before I get them. I'm working through the week end,so maybe that will help.  Dan