Author Topic: danger signs when buying a bandit 600  (Read 3907 times)

Offline tdaughg

• New user!
danger signs when buying a bandit 600
« on: April 11, 2005, 05:31:08 AM »
let me just start by say im new here and this is my first post so..hi! now the important stuff, im considering buying a 1996 bandit 600. i want to know if there are things i need to be cautious of when i go to look at it? i know the normal stuff like if the steering head doesnt turn smoothly its a sign of bad bearing and races, or if it has a hard time shifting from first to second then the trasmission could be bad. also are the valves on that shim under bucket or hydrolic or the threaded post with lock nut type adjuster. one more question is there a certaint milage point at which they start to really die, like i know older fzr's start to get real funky in the 20K-25K mile range. thanks for any help you can provide.

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
old b6
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 05:48:17 AM »
As for the valves, "threaded post with lock nut type adjuster".
I have over 40k and the bike looks and runs better then new.
I've only replaced the normal stuff. I run high revs all the time, ride all year around, and I know I'm hard on the clutch. Tires, chains, sprockets, spark plugs, oil, and filters, and some gas,  thats all it ever needs. I did a few other upgrades but I didn't have too!
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 06:44:53 AM »
Mate my 96 b6 has 100 thousand K's or in yankie talk 60 thousand miles
Mate the little baby still runs just fine, I use it three days a week for courier work, and I flog it big time, honestly mate the only thing Ive ever owned and was this reliable was my old FJ12, and she was still running strong after 260 thousand k's or 150 thousand miles, with the motor never being apart. They are nearly bullet proof, take a close look attention to detail should find a b6 that has been maintained.
I have replaced at 90 thousand the clutch plates and springs and the normal stuff. It uses a little bit of oil about 500ml over the 5000 k's service interval, has been like that since I got it. But I see no problem with that.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 08:19:14 AM »
I can vouch for Mick flogging his B6 - he did well keeping up with me and my B12 on one of my favourite bits of road - infact at one point I thought I was holding him up.  Mind you his Mrs wasn't impressed for a number of reasons.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 09:16:34 AM »
Funny how she respectfully asked that the trip back to the rally site be a little bit slower. :motorsmile:  And we where nice enough to make the 50 mile trip maybe 1 minute slower. :thanks: Nothing wrong with white knuckles just as long as they aint mine. :beers:

Offline Jacknife

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 06:31:59 PM »
I've got a b6 on a 99', had looked at a 98' but when i saw it, it looked mint untill you turned the key, ok it was a cold morning when we looked at it but my mate took it out for a good ten mins and when it came back it still smoked out the back end! It was to be my first bike and my mate told me "not to bother" was heart broken. but on the way home found my 99' cost a little more but was in fantasic shape and low miles on the clock.

Just dont let you heart rule you head, if its too good to be true its a bag of shite. full service history is always good. But dont buy the first bike you see unless its in realy good shape! Good Luck, there is a lot of good bikes out there but the few that are gone will always surface to spoil the rest. :bigok:
99' B6

Offline tdaughg

• New user!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 10:45:10 PM »
thanks a lot! u guys seem to be comfirming all the rumors that ive heard of these things lasting forever when well taken care of.  ive looked at quite a few bikes lately but this is the first one that has really looked clean and is a good price. it is at a salvage yard tho but the only damage i can see in the pictures is some scrathes on the muffler thats it. so ill call the shop when there open tomorrow to make sure its still available and make the trek to go check it out. the shop is about an hour from my house so i want to make sure its really worth my time to check it out. thanks again!

here's a pic. of it: http://www.fremontcycle.com/bikes/photos/1113_032.jpg

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 07:58:17 AM »
Don't worry to much about coming from a wrecking yard, I scored mine as an insurance write off, from a wrecking yard. With what I paid for it and fixing it myself, going through all the BS and enginneering etc etc for rego it cost me $4 thou Market value for the same bike, $6.5 thou. Good luck, and keep it shiney side up.