Author Topic: Engine Noise, Need Help!  (Read 2092 times)

Offline chevsuz12

• Board Homesteader!
Engine Noise, Need Help!
« on: September 20, 2006, 02:36:23 PM »
Hello all!

I am having a noise issue on my b12.

Bike Specs:

1999 B12 Holeshot Stage 2
K&N Pods
5° Advance
D&D pipe
14 Tooth front sprocket
31000 miles.
I am the original owner.

The noise appears to be coming from the top of the motor.  When on the gas hard, around 6k rpm and progressively gets worse as RPM's climb.  The noise seems to be coming from the right side of the motor.  It sounds a bit more harsh than valve tick.  The motor still feels very strong, and doesn't appear to have any power loss at all.  Also my oil was recently changed, but the noise was still there.

I last adjusted my valves about 6 months ago.  And have regularly adjusted every other year, regardless of mileage.  At last adjustment they looked great, and all were within tolerance.  I set all of them slightly loose of the median tolerance.  

I only recently noticed the noise.  But it may have been there for some time, as my exhaust used to be extremely loud. But now is much quieter, therefore I can hear the engine noise.  Maybe I am just paranoid, but it doesn't sound normal.  

I will probably take off the valve cover and check the valves this weekend, but wandering if it is possibly the camshaft chain?  Is there an adjustment for this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
B12 Streetfighter!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Engine Noise, Need Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 07:11:09 AM »
The cam chain has an auto adjuster stock. Aftermarket manual ones are available and usualy have more adjustment range than the stock piece. You should be able to tell if a slack chain is a problem when you pop the cover off to check the valves.

Also, check your plugs for signs of mixture problems.

Noises are difficult to troubleshoot without being able to hear them, so if you aren't sure what the cause is, try to get someone who knows more to give your bike a listen.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)