Author Topic: Front end rattle  (Read 2720 times)

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
Front end rattle
« on: July 03, 2007, 05:04:08 PM »
I was riding around the city today (sans earplugs) and I could hear a rattle coming from the front end. It was quiet, which means I wouldn't have heard it at speed. Sounded like a rock was stuck in my radiator, but I couldn't find anything.

Does anyone have a better explanation?
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Front end rattle
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 11:10:39 PM »
I seem to have a similar problem. But mine only hits in the buzz zone on my rpm's.  I think it is my right turn signal.  I got it stop once, maybe it came back.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
Front end rattle
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 12:16:17 PM »
I had an ugly "buzzing" noise (rather than a "rattle", as such) in my front fairing area too. Turns out it was a missing plastic push-in "rivet" (yes, that's what the parts book calls it) that holds on the filler panel that fits under the front of the fairing below the headlight. I didn't find the problem until I actually laid on my back and shone a trouble light up on the panel. Who knows how the heck that fell out ?? Maybe not installed correctly at the factory ?? Regardless, a new one was only C$2.00 or so.....and problem solved.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline Carl_T

• New user!
    • http://www.carlt-artwork.com
Front end rattle
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 06:37:37 PM »
I had a rattle and some backfiring. Turned out bolts backed out of the header clamp on a cylinder and it was rattling around on the exhaust pipe.
Wherever you go, there you are.
2005 Bandit 1200, 2003 SV650N

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
rattling
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 10:11:37 PM »
Just had a case of the rattles recently. In fact , it came back after 3 years of me thinking it was fixed. coming form the front end/fairing area, only noticable in high rev range at low speeds, between 4 and 7 thou rpm.

Underneath the front black part of the fairing at the bottom (nose area) is a male plastic end that goes to a female grommet. My rubber grommet (meant to be inside) was missing when i got the bike new, fixed it with black foam tape around the (male part), the tape had shifted and was now allowing plastic to rattle against plastic. Picked up a toyota rubber grommet from the window handle section from crappy tire ($3) popped it in, fixed...check this area on your bike, you'll have to remove the mirrors as if you were about to remove the windscreen.
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Front end rattle
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 10:57:02 PM »
I have the naked version, so any fairing answers goes out the door for me.  I am going to look around tonight to see if I can find anything on mine.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!