Author Topic: fighting the front sprocket (help!)  (Read 3705 times)

Offline suprcivic

• New user!
fighting the front sprocket (help!)
« on: April 28, 2005, 05:26:34 PM »
:duh:

so, i've got this 98b12...  i've never changed a sprocket and chain by myself before and now i'm elbow deep in grit and grease and i just can't seem to break the nut that holds the sprocket free.  i've flattened out the lock washer, bought a 2 foot breaker bar, locked both the front and rear breaks and still to no avail.  all i've succeeded in doing is almost knocking the bike over a couple of times.

any tips?  anything?  please?

thanks

suprcivic

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 05:42:13 PM »
I've never had any luck with the armstrong method.  I can easily get it off with an air impact wrwnch though.  

Perhaps two people would work best to steady the bike and twist the nut loose.   Maybe a wooden piece in the rear spokes would work better than holding the brakes.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 07:40:05 PM »
What Ray said. If you remove the chain before breaking the front sprocket nut loose, an impact wrench is pretty much the only way.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 10:54:44 AM »
Did you knock down the crimped washer?

Mine came off pretty easy with a large wrench... certainly less than 2'.
I had just put a piece of wood through the rear wheel over the swingarm to keep it from spinning.  The nut was snug but came right off.
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
sprocket
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 01:41:23 PM »
Those nuts can be pretty stubborn some times.  You can rent a good electric impact wrench by the hour at most tool rental shops.

Offline Landry

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 01:57:51 PM »
I gotta' buy a socket to fit that front nut, folks.  Anyone know the size?
Ever noticed that they don't make helmets out of bone? There's a reason.

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
size
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 07:35:39 AM »
1 1/4 inch works on my 96 B6
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Re: fighting the front sprocket (help!)
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 06:41:03 PM »
Quote from: "suprcivic"
:duh:

so, i've got this 98b12...  i've never changed a sprocket and chain by myself before and now i'm elbow deep in grit and grease and i just can't seem to break the nut that holds the sprocket free.  i've flattened out the lock washer, bought a 2 foot breaker bar, locked both the front and rear breaks and still to no avail.  all i've succeeded in doing is almost knocking the bike over a couple of times.

any tips?  anything?  please?

thanks

suprcivic
Hey 32mm is the size. big metric converts back to std size stuff in most cases. Impact works best but should be no prob with a good size ratchet or breaker bar. Don't bang too much with a impact in gear, trans not made for it! the 2x4 is the way in that case. I hold the brake sitting on the bike, which is on hard stand, and have no prob breaking the nut loose. That kinda torque isn't needed!  Here is a link for more info. p/s righty tighty lefty loosey!!! Would be good to know how it turned out!!   http://hometown.aol.com/ffastcbr/banditfaq.htm#chain_sprockets