Author Topic: Gear box noise in 5th gear  (Read 5619 times)

Offline Wayne Ingham

• New user!
Gear box noise in 5th gear
« on: April 02, 2005, 09:42:44 AM »
I realise now that my question was not detailed enough.  

A howling noise appears in 5th gear between 2000 and 2500 rpm. This noise cuts in at 2000 rpm and cuts out at 2500 rpm. Above 2500 rpm the bike is quiet, just normal drive chain noise/road noise. Is this just normal for the bike or could there be a fault.

The bike has just been serviced by the selling dealer, new metzeler tyres, rear tyre 180-55ZR17, front tyre 120-70ZR17, new drive chain and sprockets. However, the bike did have an Ace Performance Exhaust when purchased, but I arranged to have this changed to a standard exhaust. (possible incorrect yets fitted?)

This noise occurs on all different road surfaces.

I know that 2000 rpm is very low revs for top gear, but the bike goes along nicely at 45 mph and excelerates cleanly through the entire rev range when in 5th gear at 2000 rpm.  I do not ride the bike under these conditions but this is something that I have found when I have been playing and trying the bike out.

Also, another little enquiry, would the bike benefit from fitting lower handle bars eg GS1000.

Any information that can be given would be much appreciated.  

Wayne

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 12:27:55 PM »
Wayne,

Hold off on lumping up the dealer  :shock:  . So far I can neither confirm nor deny the noise, I don't recall having my Bandit "under load" at that low of RPM unless in first gear. If I get a chance this weekend I'll go out for a bit and check. How loud is the howling? Does it do it as bad with fresh oil?

My Bandit does have kind of a unique mechanical sound as it accelerates but it is subdued and I never really thought of it as a howl.

Good luck,

Steve
Primer Grey b12S

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 03:05:04 PM »
Also , Wayne, make sure you test it on different roads...  Some will generate weird noise, especially humming as it resonates through the bike.

The only thing I remember at the moment on mine is drive chain hum..
And you can definitely hear that at lower rpms under load, when the rpms climb the engine drowns it out, and when not under acceleration load the chain's pressure points change.

Good luck,

Offline 00Bandit Rider

• TURBO TYPER!
gear noise
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 11:12:43 PM »
all bikes that I know about use straight cut gears which are noisey but more efficient than quiet helical cut gears like a car& the  gear boxes are designed so theyare  in mesh all the time.The gears one or more sets of gears are locked tohe input & output shafts to make the set
functional for each gear.   My B1200 makes  a noise in every gear at some speed or other-- not real loud but u can hear it. On mine 2000 rpm is too slow in 4th of 5th gears 2500/2700 is about minimum even on the level.
                                            :beers:
                                               good luck
                                               Bill Teller

Offline Slider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 01:48:43 AM »
Wayne: question which could affect my reply
-have you redone your jets, particularly low speed?
-have you changed your exhaust?
this is quite a low rpm otherwise.
 :motorsmile:
Bandit 12, Yoshi can, jets, KNN, Gen Mar risers, 3 Givi 36L hardbags

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 12:10:31 PM »
My 2003 howled with increasing noise levels as speed went up.  It was the tires, Michelin Macadam 90s.  The noise grew louder as the tires wore and went away completely when I replaced them at about 11K miles.

Certain speeds seemed noisier than others.

Offline Wayne Ingham

• New user!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 10:21:56 AM »
Quote from: "mike"
Also , Wayne, make sure you test it on different roads...  Some will generate weird noise, especially humming as it resonates through the bike.

The only thing I remember at the moment on mine is drive chain hum..
And you can definitely hear that at lower rpms under load, when the rpms climb the engine drowns it out, and when not under acceleration load the chain's pressure points change.

Good luck,

I realise now that my question was not detailed enough.   :duh:

A howling noise appears in 5th gear between 2000 and 2500 rpm. This noise cuts in at 2000 rpm and cuts out at 2500 rpm. Above 2500 rpm the bike is quiet, just normal drive chain noise/road noise. Is this just normal for the bike or could there be a fault.

The bike has just been serviced by the selling dealer, new metzeler tyres, rear tyre 180-55ZR17, front tyre 120-70ZR17, new drive chain and sprockets. However, the bike did have an Ace Performance Exhaust when purchased, but I arranged to have this changed to a standard exhaust. (possible incorrect yets fitted?)

This noise occurs on all different road surfaces.

I know that 2000 rpm is very low revs for top gear, but the bike goes along nicely at 45 mph and excelerates cleanly through the entire rev range when in 5th gear at 2000 rpm.

Also, another little enquiry, would the bike benefit from fitting lower handle bars eg GS1000.

Any information that can be given would be much appreciated.   :thanks:

Wayne

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 07:13:54 PM »
Wayne - I merged your new thread back into this one.

Noises can be difficult, at best, to diagnose over the Net. You might try seeing if you can hook up with another B12 owner and see if this is something 'normal' - or if that doesn't work, a trusted mechanic.

I haven't noticed my B12 howling like that, but then I can't say for certain that I've ever done much riding at 2000 RPM in 5th gear. I can't go out and check mine right now since I'm ~50 miles from my bike at the moment.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Steve

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 08:18:12 PM »
Wayne,

I finally got a chance to try it. 2500 in 5th is about 40mph for me. Rolling with light load there is a gearbox whine that is clearly audible. If you are hearing the same thing that I was, relax. It is just the nature of the beast.

Lower bars? You need to decide for yourself. Too many variables for someone else to help you there IMHO. (How tall are you?, How long are your arms? How old is your back? How do you like to sit your bike? What are most of your riding hours spent like? ? ? ) Right now I use stock bars that have 3/4" cut off of both ends, with a bar snake, sitting on 20mm risers, with heated gel grips FYI)

Anyways, I don't think the gear howl is anything to worry about, nor do I think that there is any "fix" for it.

Steve
Primer Grey b12S

Offline chrisbandit

• New user!
Gear whine in 5th
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 05:10:24 AM »
Wayne, how you described your noise is identical to my 2005 B12, I called up the dealer, he said it is not abnormal to hear some gear noise in 5th, in anycase I am still under warranty I might take it in just to be sure. Not too sure how load yours is, mine almost goes when my visor is down. I also wonder if I should be in 5th at this rev range?
Cheers,
Chris.

Offline salty

• TURBO TYPER!
  • I think i'm getting too old for all this!!
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 05:21:59 PM »
Just thinking "outside the box" No pun intended, it couldn't be induction noise from the intake could it? does your airbox have the rubber snorkle fitted still? or any 2" holes made in it other that the origonal? Just a thought.
Salty