Author Topic: Help, driveway drop now noise in engine?  (Read 2612 times)

Offline ballinger

• TURBO TYPER!
Help, driveway drop now noise in engine?
« on: April 25, 2006, 07:50:28 PM »
Yep I dropped it in the driveway. :duh:

Its a 02 1200s. It wasn't even running. We still have gravel all over from winter. No real external damage. Minor scratch to the starter cover. I let it down as slow as I could with one foot sliding on the gravel.

The problem is now when the bike idles it makes a sound that could be a miss but sounds more mechanical. The noise is random so I'm not able to tell where its comming from. I have taken it out for a ride and it seems to run ok at higher rpm's.

Any suggestions?

Kevin
02 Bandit 1200S
87 GSXR 750
82 XJ650 Maxim
99 Katana 600
1984 Virago 1000
2003 GSXR 600

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 09:08:53 PM »
I hate when that happens.  Seems odd from such a soft landing.  Mine has dropped twice hard on it's left side without any internal engine issues.

I think it does help to have a couple people listening to track down the exact location/origin of the noise.  Once you get that, it's just a matter of figuring out what are the moving parts in that vicinity.

But random engine noises are extremely tough to track down.  I had an '81 CB750F I bought new from the dealer I worked at... and the mechanics spent hours for me (gratis) trying to track down a strange engine noise that other CB750's didn't have.  We all agreed the location was the upper left rear valve cover... but they were never able to fix it... and I just traded the damn bike in on a new one (same model) the next year.

Good luck!

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 06:50:56 AM »
First place I would look would be the carbs, and fuel system.
If it a miss, you may have dislodged a bit of a crap in the fuel bowls, partly blocking a jet, or an emulsion tube. Maybe the sludge in the bottom of the tank could be partly blocking the fuel filter tap unit.
Unless you have broken  or cracked an engine case I would it hard to beleive any harm was done internally. But shyte does happen.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline Jaq316

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 09:07:59 PM »
im having the same problem after my brother layed down my 2004 1200s at about 15mph....let me know if you find whats wrong(mine was layed down on the exhaust side)

Offline Jaq316

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 09:09:46 PM »
by the way my bike is almost brand new ive only had it a week and it only has 400 miles on it......what could it be?

Offline ballinger

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 02:01:43 AM »
Jaq316, sorry to hear you had the same experience. I haven't resolved my issue yet, but will be working on it tommorrow.

My noise seem to be specific to 1300 - 2000 rpm range.
02 Bandit 1200S
87 GSXR 750
82 XJ650 Maxim
99 Katana 600
1984 Virago 1000
2003 GSXR 600

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 06:59:26 AM »
Are you sure it's in the engine?  I dropped mine in the drive a week ago and I swear there's a tiny ticking noise (as opposed to tapping) that wasn't there before....but to me, it sounds like it's maybe something just outside the engine, maybe the fairing?  that's now resting on the engine or something and making a noise.

I have 3K on my bike and the stealership said he checked the valves but i don't think he did.  What do noisy valves sound like?  A slight ticking or a more heavy tapping sound?

Should say as soon as i blip the throttle, the engine sounds great and smooth and i can't hear the ticking anymore...it's only apparent at idle i guess cuz the engine is so quiet then??

I feel for ya.

Jim