Author Topic: Help Please???  (Read 3800 times)

Offline suzuki400

• New user!
Help Please???
« on: May 23, 2006, 08:50:59 AM »
Can anyone help me with this.

We managed to install the new motor. While trying to start the bike we used all the battery power.

We then used jumpers and the cars battery. Everything went well until the positive slipped of the terminal and shorted on the frame.

After which we had no spark at the plugs.

We checked the following.
1. fuses (all fine)
2. Regulator/Rectifier (fine)
3. Wiring for melted wires (fine what we could see)

what i couldnt test.
1. CDI unit (dont know how)
2. Coils (dont know how)

So these are the colors used on the CDI

plug 1
red
green
grey

Plug 2
pink
purple
blue
yellow

any help?

Update checked the CDI unit and all is fine.

Does the bike have a main fuse and where is it located, i was told that might be it. The only fuses i am aware of are the four under the seat located next to the battery
GSXR 400 GK76

zaptoman

Help Please???
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 10:23:41 AM »
Personally, I've had cables short on the frame about every time I've put them on (to darn little space in there) and haven't ended up with any adverse effects. Check your batteries maybe?

Offline suzuki400

• New user!
Help Please???
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 11:08:59 AM »
Quote from: zaptoman
Personally, I've had cables short on the frame about every time I've put them on (to darn little space in there) and haven't ended up with any adverse effects. Check your batteries maybe?

What do you mean by batteries
GSXR 400 GK76

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
Help Please???
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 12:01:42 PM »
There may be a inline fuse on the left side of the bike. also check your ignition switch for burnt wires.
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

zaptoman

Help Please???
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 04:07:22 PM »
Make sure you've still got a good battery in there.

Offline Seanybiker

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.madblaa.com
Help Please???
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 08:55:46 PM »
Quote from: zaptoman
Make sure you've still got a good battery in there.

ha ha ha  funnily enough. it has been done. forgetting the battery. ha ha ha . god Im stupid sometimes

Offline suzuki400

• New user!
Help Please???
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 08:24:05 AM »
Update: Still cant get the bike started.

Tried stating and it was almost there, then the spark died. Tried again little later on same as above. Spark there for a while and just dies.

Plz help im getting desperate now
GSXR 400 GK76

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Help Please???
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 08:41:29 AM »
How are you determining "no spark?"  Do you mean it's not cranking or that you've pulled the plugs to determine that they actually arent' sparking?
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline suzuki400

• New user!
Help Please???
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 10:19:51 AM »
Quote from: PitterB4
How are you determining "no spark?"  Do you mean it's not cranking or that you've pulled the plugs to determine that they actually arent' sparking?

Its cranking, and pull out the spark plugs to test and its fine.
Crank again to get it statrted check the plugs no spark.
Hope im makung sense
GSXR 400 GK76

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
Help Please???
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 06:25:50 PM »
If you can see the spark when cranking than the spark is fine. How would you know it wasn't sparking inside the engine? Unless you had X-ray eyes, a transperant head, or called Dion Warwick's Psychic friends, how would you know? I have a feeling it's fuel delivery. Do you have some "Quickstart" ether based fluid? Spray some quickstart into the intake and crank it over if it starts to catch it's sparking fine.

Like you said you almost got it running so either its flooded or not enough gas is coming through, did you prime the carbs? If not you're going to be cranking forever. I think you're mixing up the word "spark" to mean combustion. The plugs could be sparking merrilly away but if no fuel is in there you're SOL. Try the quickstart that will at least let you know that you're sparking fine. I'd also prime the carbs for at least 30 secs to make sure fuel is in the float bowls.

An alternative to quickstart is put a few drops of gas in the cylinder, just drops only don't pour gas in there, maybe 3 or 4 drops. Does it try to catch?
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline suzuki400

• New user!
Help Please???
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 11:13:40 AM »
We managed to sort out the firing problem. It was firing and then not at all.

What we did was swop the pickups from the old motor to the new motor.

AND voila firing and running.

So if you have firing problems check the following. CDI, Ground, Fuses and then if all else fails the Pickups.

Thanx everyone for the help.
GSXR 400 GK76