Author Topic: Hepco & Becker Top Box & Pannier Frames  (Read 5267 times)

Offline vyrolakos

• New user!
Hepco & Becker Top Box & Pannier Frames
« on: January 24, 2007, 03:05:07 PM »
I've had the Hepco & Becker system on three previous bikes with a faultless history. As I still have the top box and side cases I figured I would get the necessary fitting kit for the bandit.

I'm now waiting for the arrival of a Hepco & Becker top box and pannier frames to fit to my '05 Bandit 1200 K5 and was wondering if anybody had any experience with the Hepco & Becker luggage system on the Bandit 1200?

Anything I need to watch out for, either in fitting or general use?

Jon

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 10:48:28 AM »
Given the luggage rack/top box mount is similar to the Krauser, I'd be watching for cracks in the rear subframe where the rack & grab rail mount.

Check out this thread on the Krauser top box and ensuing problems.

From your pics, it doesn't look like the pannier rack is going to help distribute any weight from the top box. If you're planning on going with the HB topbox setup, I'd seriously consider either beefing up the rear subframe of adding some structure the the HB rack to tie it to the the front luggage spool attach points - like the Givi & SW Moto top box mounts do.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline vyrolakos

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I've just finished reading the Krauser thread. That sucks BIG TIME!

Sure makes you wonder about the reliability and ethics of certain luggage companies after sales service. Doesn't make Suzuki look too clever either!

Do you think the 5kg load maximum is including the Top Box as well as the contents? Because the top box and mount must weigh almost half that!

A 40 Litre top box with a 5kg (or less even...) maximum weight limitation. Great if you want to carry 40 Litres of candy floss!?!   :duh:

Jon

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 03:21:48 PM »
FYI - Suzuki sells (or used to sell) a small luggage rack in their accessory catalog for the 2G B12. It mounts to the grab rail attach points. This little jewel also has a warning there's 5 kg/11 lb load limit. I'm guessing it is for the reason illustrated in that thread.

IIRC, the load limit on my Ventura rack, which mounts to all four bungee spool locations, has a 45 lb limit, which is something a little more reasonable.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline vyrolakos

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 12:13:27 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  :thanks:

The Hepco & Becker kit arrived today, and is now mounted.

The 5Kg weight limit on a 40 Litre Top Box (that is rated for 10Kg) is a serious limitation. It means I can only ever really pack clothing in it for journeys and store helmets and gloves when parked up.

The other issue, and perhaps the most worrying is if a pillion uses the top box as a back rest...  :shock:

It could end in tears. :crybaby:

Not the end of the world, but definitely a limitation that means I would have to recommend shopping elsewhere for luggage systems. It looks like the Givi System is the way to go. It's just a shame I kept my old Hepco & Becker luggage from my previous bike or I would have probably just bought a Givi system.

I should also point out that the Hepco & Becker luggage when mounted on my previous bike was faultless. I see this as Suzuki's fault for making a mounting point out of tissue paper.

Oh well, at least it looks good!  :lol:

Jon