Author Topic: Rear tire feels shaky  (Read 3825 times)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Rear tire feels shaky
« on: July 02, 2005, 10:24:42 PM »
If I get on the gas hard coming out of a corner the rear tire feels shaky. Like its about to walk out on me. The tire is Metzler MeZ4 which is older but it has alot of meat left on it. I'm running 32 psi in it right now. I was thinking about trying a little more air pressure to see if it corrects the problem.

Is it time for a new tire or can you think of something else that would cause this?
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
Rear tire feels shaky
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 08:19:43 AM »
Like you said, I would suspect a tire issue first..

Properly inflated...
Flat spot from hwy miles will reduce the contact patch in a turn.
Unless you're a heavy guy, 32psi on the rear should be fine.  You could always go to 35psi and see what it does (though usually the higher psi wil reduce the contact patch).

Good luck,
Mike :)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Rear tire feels shaky
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 12:10:00 PM »
Quote from: "mike"
Like you said, I would suspect a tire issue first..

Properly inflated...
Flat spot from hwy miles will reduce the contact patch in a turn.
Unless you're a heavy guy, 32psi on the rear should be fine.  You could always go to 35psi and see what it does (though usually the higher psi wil reduce the contact patch).

Good luck,
Mike :)

I'm a total ectomorph so the PSI shouldn't be an issue. I'm wondering if I'm spinning the back tire coming out of the corner. A stickier sportec M1 might be in order. Either that or take it easier on the gas in the corners.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Rear tire feels shaky
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 12:42:43 PM »
This is just some guesses, but....

How old is the MEz 4?   If it's 3-4 years old or more,the rubber compound could have aged and hardened, even though there's plenty of tread left.
   I'm not dissing the 400, but is it possible to spin the rear wheel when coming out of a corner on dry pavement?

The only other guesses I have would be stuff you'd notice all  of the time....rear wheel bearings....chain/wheel alignment, etc.  I'd think you'd have some indication something wasn't right all the time.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Rear tire feels shaky
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 03:39:10 PM »
Quote from: "PeteSC"
This is just some guesses, but....

How old is the MEz 4?   If it's 3-4 years old or more,the rubber compound could have aged and hardened, even though there's plenty of tread left.
   I'm not dissing the 400, but is it possible to spin the rear wheel when coming out of a corner on dry pavement?

The only other guesses I have would be stuff you'd notice all  of the time....rear wheel bearings....chain/wheel alignment, etc.  I'd think you'd have some indication something wasn't right all the time.

Yeah the tire is a couple of years old (I think 3 years). It's probably the root of the problem. I don't remember having that issue before when the tire was newer. I just replaced the front and it sticks like glue.  I've checked the bearings and chain alignment and everything seemed good there. So I'll take it easy on the tire until I get a replacement.
Mike

'91 GSF400

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
Rear tire feels shaky
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 01:39:38 AM »
Quote from: "PeteSC"
If it's 3-4 years old or more,the rubber compound could have aged and hardened, even though there's plenty of tread left.

wow i had no idea compound age was an issue!
is this on all new motorcycle tire rubber or just the high end tires?
does this even effect the all-weather touring tires?

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Rear tire feels shaky
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 08:35:52 AM »
If you check the date code on the tire, you may find out the tire is a bit older than you think!
  Depending on where you bought the tire, it could have sat in a warehouse or in the shop for a while.

The age code is a 6 charater code on the side of the tire, it will be 3 letters, followed by 3 numbers.  The first two numbers are the week, and the last number the year.
  A tire manufactured THIS year would have a manufacturers date code something like this  ABC225
  22 being the 22 week, 5 being 2005.

The 'age' thing is also a factor in car tires, but I think a little accelerated in bike tires, since stickiness outweighs longevity.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Rear tire feels shaky
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 08:18:45 PM »
Quote from: "b4cruz"
is this on all new motorcycle tire rubber or just the high end tires?
does this even effect the all-weather touring tires?

It would be on all of them, but the harder the tire was to begin with, the less would be the effect.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)