Author Topic: Jet kits VS shims.  (Read 8949 times)

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
Jet kits VS shims.
« on: December 10, 2006, 12:08:08 PM »
As posted, it really sounds like my new Bandit with TB can needs more gas. As I hate to even touch the carbs at this stage of the game I was wondering what people think about this shims idea? To pop the top of the carbs and put one or two (Radio Shack? They must be PC motherboard washers) shims on the big needles is definately a quicker and less intrusive job than re and reing them. I'm not opposed to buying say a Holeshot stage1 kit but am a student of the old school of 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.' And this baby definately ain't broke. Just maybe lagging a bit.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Jet kits VS shims.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 01:15:10 PM »
Trying to improve performance in an engine is not like adding new wheel covers to an old car to improve its looks. You need to step back and see the engine as a system where changes in one part drastically affect another. Adding exhaust, using needle shims, changing needle clip position, cutting the slide spring, using K&N filters, or shoving in bigger jets without having a knowledgeable expectation of the outcome based on either known performance data or quantifiable result testing, is like cooking blindfolded with boxing gloves, who the hell knows what will happen. Fortunately there are low cost kits out there that have been quantifiably tested and proven to achieve results. But that doesn’t stop some from groping.

Don’t get wrong, All of us will always be guilty of guess work to some degree in our lives, but learning to minimize the use of guess work in all areas of our lives can only make us more effective, and having someone remind you of it is not a reprimand as much as an acknowledgment of the truth. Whether a person is willing, ready or able to accept the truth as an inspirational epiphany rather then a challenge to authority is a matter of character.

:idea:

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
Jet kits VS shims.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 05:28:34 PM »
My God! And your point is? Lol. I didn't see my question answered in there, tho.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
Jet kits VS shims.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 09:05:00 PM »
they are telling you not to cob it up :stickpoke: .M
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline Asphalt

• Board Homesteader!
Jet kits VS shims.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 12:24:17 AM »
You can shim with decent results......when it comes to jet kits, I will tell you like it was told to me.  "The Magic is in the Needle."  THey have a certain taper to them and that is what makes the jet kits special....
2006 Hayabusa....AKA (Bandit on Steriods)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Jet kits VS shims.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 12:06:07 PM »
Quote from: "Rocketjock"
My God! And your point is? Lol. I didn't see my question answered in there, tho.

Actually you made my point.

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Jet kits VS shims.
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 01:56:53 PM »
The Jet Kit Vs. Shims issue is probably ranked as #2 on the all-time hits list here.

Try a search... you'll get a lot of info.

I personally would go with 2 shims per needle, new 110 mains (4 @ $6 each) and turn out the A/F screws to 3.5 turns.  That will give you about 85% of the gain you'd get from a commercial jet kit.  Net cost:  $26

Either way... shims or jet kit... it'll bring the engine up to where it should be running from the factory.

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
Jet kits VS shims.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 11:51:33 AM »
Whether a person is willing, ready or able to accept the truth as an inspirational epiphany rather then a challenge to authority is a matter of character.

Actually you made my point.

Gunner, you are a character. I'm sure we'd have a great time over a few beers. It may sound elitist but you're the first guy in over a year that I've seen on a M/C board use the word "epiphany' in a post. :beers:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Jet kits VS shims.
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 05:37:39 AM »
As posted, it really sounds like my new Bandit with TB can needs more gas. As I hate to even touch the carbs at this stage of the game I was wondering what people think about this shims idea? To pop the top of the carbs and put one or two (Radio Shack? They must be PC motherboard washers) shims on the big needles is definately a quicker and less intrusive job than re and reing them. I'm not opposed to buying say a Holeshot stage1 kit but am a student of the old school of 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.' And this baby definately ain't broke. Just maybe lagging a bit.

Rocketjock:

Go up one size on the mains, add a couple of shims and you have a stage one kit! About 20 bucks.

Oh, and by the way, the minute you added the can, you started the slippery slope to more mods..... It's about the same way that drug dealers work, these aftermarket parts stores.

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
Jet kits VS shims.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 10:07:47 AM »
Ah yes, more mods. That's one of the reasons I bought the Bandit.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
Jet kits VS shims.
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 08:20:52 PM »
:beers:
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
Jet kits VS shims.
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 09:56:03 AM »
Limp suspension? I just traded in an 80 GS750ET fixerupper for this bike. I'm in suspension heaven now.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Jet kits VS shims.
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 11:10:24 AM »
Limp suspension? I just traded in an 80 GS750ET fixerupper for this bike. I'm in suspension heaven now.

Remember that most of the US guys haven't ridden the 06...the suspension is somewhat better than the earlier models :beers:
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Jet kits VS shims.
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 08:49:22 PM »
Quote from: "Dreadnought"

Remember that most of the US guys haven't ridden the 06...the suspension is somewhat better than the earlier models :beers:

Entirely new shock I hear! :lol:

Offline DaveG

• Board Homesteader!
Jet kits VS shims.
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 10:39:10 AM »
added a Scorpion Can

I've done the 2 shims and A/F screws
not the mains though
seems a tad rich now
as not too much riding is done at 8,000+rpm it seems stronger in the mid but runs out of breath at 8,000 ( since that is max hp. why do i care???) yet i do

Can't find any info on the 2" mod thought i might try that next.