Author Topic: Larger tank for 2008 and newer Bandit?  (Read 2535 times)

Offline icemakk

• Board Homesteader!
    • My web site
Larger tank for 2008 and newer Bandit?
« on: April 01, 2009, 05:12:08 PM »
I am doing a lot of long trips this summer on my 1250 Bandit. While I usually get just over 300km (186 mi)
320km is not uncommon without worry of running out.  I find in some areas this limits travel, especially on secondary roads.. Has anyone found a successful tank swap to a larger tank? I'd love to boost it from 19 litres to around 22-24 litres.
Once I thought I was wrong...but I was mistaken.

Offline Heaven Bound

• Board Homesteader!
  • Crash Test Dummy
Re: Larger tank for 2008 and newer Bandit?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 12:53:48 AM »
A fella I know out in CO has the solution for just about any bike on the market...

See how he did it here (includes more pics).
Paul D.
04 GSF1200S (Charcoal Grey)
...TRASHED

My Other Digs Bikers4Christ     Listen to KLOVE online or find a station near you.

Offline icemakk

• Board Homesteader!
    • My web site
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 10:53:47 PM »
Interesting concept but I was looking more for the built-in look.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 02:08:50 PM »
There's a Suzuki shop in Vancouver BC (sorry, don't recall which one) that has cut earlier versions of Bandit tanks in two (horizontally) and welded in a strip of metal to increase capacity.  Several years ago there was a member here who had one of their modded tanks on his 1G and he posted about it.  I don't recall if which version of the Alley he had posted that on, so you may or may not be able to find it here.  I do recall the end result looked pretty good and if you didn't know anything about Bandits, you probably wouldn't notice it was different... and might not notice if you do know your Bandits - unless it was parked next to one with a stock tank.  IIRC, it upped the capacity `1-1.5 US gallons, so the end result would fit your requirements nicely.

As far as a bolt-on tank from something else, I doubt you'll find anything that'll fit and still look good.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline icemakk

• Board Homesteader!
    • My web site
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 12:21:56 PM »
There's a Suzuki shop in Vancouver BC (sorry, don't recall which one) that has cut earlier versions of Bandit tanks in two (horizontally) and welded in a strip of metal to increase capacity.  Several years ago there was a member here who had one of their modded tanks on his 1G and he posted about it.  I don't recall if which version of the Alley he had posted that on, so you may or may not be able to find it here.  I do recall the end result looked pretty good and if you didn't know anything about Bandits, you probably wouldn't notice it was different... and might not notice if you do know your Bandits - unless it was parked next to one with a stock tank.  IIRC, it upped the capacity `1-1.5 US gallons, so the end result would fit your requirements nicely.

As far as a bolt-on tank from something else, I doubt you'll find anything that'll fit and still look good.
Thanks Red
I have an upcoming trip to Vancouver in May for some shows (taking the bike of course) so I may just seek out this shop and get a quote.