Author Topic: Brake light staying on, even when not on the brake.  (Read 3662 times)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Brake light staying on, even when not on the brake.
« on: October 03, 2005, 02:25:49 AM »
We noticed lately that Dita seems to have a brake light problem.  While following the BF home the other day, I noticed the brake light on almost the whole time.  Naturally when we got home, I mentioned to him that it wasn't going to be easy to pass his bike test if he was dragging the brake the whole time ( or easy on my pocket book if I had to replace the brakes) Interestingly enough, over the last few months, people have periodically mentioned to me that it looked like I might be dragging the brake, or that there might be a short in my taillight.   Of course, I was convinced that it was me dragging the brake periodically, since she's new to me, and I was in poor boots for the task.  Then we noticed tonight that the light was on too while she was just sitting there warming up.  ( i.e. both filaments lit even though the brakes were not applied.) I suspect the Rear brake light switch, by the brake pedal, but does anyone else have any suggestions on this?  And if the switch needs to be replaced, where's a good place to get one, since the dealers here never seem to stock anything for her, or any other suzuki for that matter.

I need to get this fixed asap, so that he can take his test perferably this week, but hopefully before it snows,... again,.. for this year.  (And so I can ride again at will.)
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Denverbandit99

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 04:13:19 AM »
http://www.partsguyz.com/. They're in boulder, Colorado. They have 3,000 some odd bikes for parts, and I've bought a few parts from them for my B6. They're great to work with, have great prices, and don't charge much for shipping. Sorry, I don't know how to post a hyperlink.

Offline Denverbandit99

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 04:15:36 AM »
never mind about the hyper link. Easier than AIM.

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 10:38:12 AM »
IF the switches are actually in stock, they're only $10 and $12 at BikeBandit, and they ship to Canada, but maybe not fast enough for you.
  There are two brake switches, one on the front brake, one on the rear.

The switch on the rear brake looks like it could pick up some dirt and maybe stick.   I think I'd try some WD40 or Contact Cleaner and try to clean it up.
  You should be able to work it by hand and see if it's hanging up....staying 'on'.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 10:51:57 AM »
Quote from: "PeteSC"
IF the switches are actually in stock, they're only $10 and $12 at BikeBandit, and they ship to Canada, but maybe not fast enough for you.

The switch on the rear brake looks like it could pick up some dirt and maybe stick.   I think I'd try some WD40 or Contact Cleaner and try to clean it up.
  You should be able to work it by hand and see if it's hanging up....staying 'on'.

I'd try that and try adjusting the rear switch.  It is a Royal PITA but there's a little plastic nut that can be adjusted.  When I replaced my peg bracket, I had no brake light with the rear.  It ended up being that adjustment.  

Good luck!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 07:14:22 PM »
Could be the front one, too...

Try unplugging one at a time and see when the brake light goes out, then you've narrowed down wich one needs adjustement/getting unstuck/replaced.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 12:07:12 AM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"

I'd try that and try adjusting the rear switch.  It is a Royal PITA but there's a little plastic nut that can be adjusted.  When I replaced my peg bracket, I had no brake light with the rear.  It ended up being that adjustment.  

I'd have to agree. The rear brake switch is poorly designed and periodically goes out of adjustment. It also can attract alot of grim... chances are after cleaning and adjustment you'll be good to go...
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 02:01:14 AM »
Quote from: "Denverbandit99"
http://www.partsguyz.com/.

Thanks for the link,.. I'll keep them in mind for the future!
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 02:04:18 AM »
Quote from: "PeteSC"

Alright!  We were both right!  Thanks for the help.  We used the contact cleaner and WD40 and unstickied it.  It was a gummed up.  Seems to be working like a charm again. :grin:   And she got a bath, a new tank sticker, and a charging system test at the same time.  Spoiled girl!
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 02:06:48 AM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"

Good luck!

Thanks!  As it turned out, it didn't seem out of adjustment, just crudded up.  I'll keep an eye on it though.  Went into the dealer today and asked about the switch, $20 cdn, and stock in Toronto, so likely three days away from me if it comes to it in the future.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 02:08:16 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Could be the front one, too...

Try unplugging one at a time and see when the brake light goes out, then you've narrowed down wich one needs adjustement/getting unstuck/replaced.

We'd thought about that too,.. but the rear seemed more likely,.. you can hear the front one engage and disengage if the bike is off.  Of course, that said, if it hadn't been the rear one, we'd have checked there next.  :wink:
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 02:12:50 AM »
Quote from: "interfuse"

I'd have to agree. The rear brake switch is poorly designed and periodically goes out of adjustment. It also can attract alot of grim... chances are after cleaning and adjustment you'll be good to go...

That's exactly what seems to have happened.   It might be because I've been riding a lot more in the rain lately.  This year has been really rainy here, and it turns out I'm too cheap to run the truck at $1.00/L + gas prices unless it's tornado force winds or pouring rain. .... this from someone that said she'd only ride on the nice warm, still days.  :duh:
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390